• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rjstone

Nov 19, 2022
Truck Year
Hey All, I have read tons of threads and can’t quite find the answer to my issue.

I have a 2016 Ram Ecodiesel with 164,XXX miles. I bought it used last year, but all of the warranty and recall work has been completed (other than an airbag recall). Anyways, I started noticing oil splatter in my coolant bottle and my heater was blowing cold air most of the time, but not always. I replaced my oil cooler, the old one was definitely bad After removing it. I drained and refilled my coolant about 8 times, until it was coming out clean. Even replaced my coolant bottle with a new one. Since that was done, about a week ago, my truck overheats just about every time I run it, but only briefly. Every day, about 4 miles into my drive, I hit a small hill. I start at the bottom with engine coolant temp at about 165 and within 30 seconds it hits 240, hold there for about 5 seconds, then drops back down to about 210 in about 20 seconds. Really fast. During that time the fan kicks in and I can hear it going. After that its good for the rest of the hour long drive with zero issues, other than the heater blowing cold about 80% of the time. I have added coolant since doing the flush and its sitting right at the mark. I’m not sure what I’m missing. The engine is stock, no EGR delete or tune. What can I check next. I have heard about an air bleed screw for the coolant, but I can’t find a video or instructions on that. I have also thought that maybe the thermostat is sticking, but it works great after that initial overheat issue each day. Could it be a clogged heater core, might I have an air pocket still, what are your thoughts? Thank you in advance.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
3-Way coolant Valve.

Rjstone

Nov 19, 2022
Truck Year
Alright, I replaced the 3 way valve and the thermostat today, with no changes. I ran it through a 5 mile loop with some hills and a 2 mile stretch on the freeway. Came back and coolant was all over from the overflow tube. It dumped about 1/2 gallon of coolant in that time. I did not run the heater during the drive to see if that was causing the issue. Afterwards, I ran the heater and still no heat. Engine spiked to 234 on a small hill, then decreased rapidly. I think that it’s dumping coolant when it jumps in temp, but I’m not sure. What would you suggest next?