• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant leak externally from back off engine

Ecodieselcrxp

Jul 29, 2022
Truck Year
Hello. New to this page I will try to be as detailed as I can .
I bought this truck (2016 ecodiesel) around march of 2022. Truck did pretty well on long distance trips no complaints until I was on my way from Louisiana to Philly. I made it to Knoxville,Tn and stayed the night there next more get on the road and notice it was running warmer than usual pull over put coolant while putting coolant I noticed it was at least a gallon low I got curious to where it was going checked radiator,water pump hoses etc .. after I looked underneath and seen I had coolant all over the undercarriage being the front of the engine bay was completely dry got to looking at the back of the engine and seen it was coming from some where in the back of the engine. For the pass month I have been adding water every other day keeping it at a safe temp. I brought it to a dealer they first said it was leaking from the over flow witch was a red flag showing me that he didn’t much know what he was taking about so told him to pressure test it then he changed it to the egr leaking just seeing if any one else has had this problem, what was it , way to fix it im currently in Philadelphia,pa but I have to be back in Louisiana September6… any help is greatly appreciated

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
EGR leaks are common but bad. There is a recall on it for that, but the dealerships can’t get the parts. I had mine deleted all together. Runs cooler, more power, no more Def. Your leak could also be the turbo cooler line under the intake manifold, I also had that, they couldn’t get that part either, I bought a used on online and reluctantly they installed it. $1500 !

Walker5150

Apr 30, 2022
Truck Year
I bought this truck (2016 ecodiesel) around march of 2022. Truck did pretty well on long distance trips no complaints until I was on my way from Louisiana to Philly. I made it to Knoxville,Tn and stayed the night there next more get on the road and notice it was running warmer than usual pull over put coolant while putting coolant I noticed it was at least a gallon low I got curious to where it was going checked radiator,water pump hoses etc .. after I looked underneath and seen I had coolant all over the undercarriage being the front of the engine bay was completely dry got to looking at the back of the engine and seen it was coming from some where in the back of the engine. For the pass month I have been adding water every other day keeping it at a safe temp. I brought it to a dealer they first said it was leaking from the over flow witch was a red flag showing me that he didn’t much know what he was taking about so told him to pressure test it then he changed it to the egr leaking just seeing if any one else has had this problem, what was it , way to fix it im currently in Philadelphia,pa but I have to be back in Louisiana September6… any help is greatly appreciated
So I had same issue with my 2015 laramie eco diesel 3.0 and it was the coolant inlet line on bottom of turbo. Waited 5.5 weeks for part to come in after ordered then a week for them to tear down upper part of intake and separate the transmission from block to finally replace the hose which was $350. Runs good accept check engine light is on because #6 cylinder glowplug is throwing a code. Cost 1300 total.

Ecodieselcrxp

Jul 29, 2022
Truck Year
EGR leaks are common but bad. There is a recall on it for that, but the dealerships can’t get the parts. I had mine deleted all together. Runs cooler, more power, no more Def. Your leak could also be the turbo cooler line under the intake manifold, I also had that, they couldn’t get that part either, I bought a used on online and reluctantly they installed it. $1500 !
I have been looking into doing that because I am already at 120xxx miles in the time I had it I put 20K+ on it I will be taking a closer look tomorrow to see if it’s a job that I can do alone or if I should bring it to the dealer and let handle it who is a good place for deleting ?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
EGR leaks are common and there is a recall for it. The EGR leaks one of two ways, one externally which is the preferred option, two internally which causes water in the oil or un-cooled exhaust gases entering the intake sometimes causing an engine fire.

My leak, same symptoms, was the banjo coolant fitting to the turbo. No recall. I had the dealer replace the two coolant return lines at the same time. A little less than $4K. The parts for me on 2021 were not on back order, it took longer to get the truck into the shop and diagnosed than to get it fixed.

Good luck.

Ecodieselcrxp

Jul 29, 2022
Truck Year
EGR leaks are common and there is a recall for it. The EGR leaks one of two ways, one externally which is the preferred option, two internally which causes water in the oil or un-cooled exhaust gases entering the intake sometimes causing an engine fire.

My leak, same symptoms, was the banjo coolant fitting to the turbo. No recall. I had the dealer replace the two coolant return lines at the same time. A little less than $4K. The parts for me on 2021 were not on back order, it took longer to get the truck into the shop and diagnosed than to get it fixed.

Good luck.
What about if it is only leaking while I’m am driving ? When I’m idle it don’t leak a drop second I get it up to about 1800 rpm’s that’s when it starts to pour out

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
What about if it is only leaking while I’m am driving ? When I’m idle it don’t leak a drop second I get it up to about 1800 rpm’s that’s when it starts to pour out
Not sure if that is indicative for location of leak. More than likely a function of coolant level. At idle water flow volume is at lowest but both leaks go to the valley of the block and rolling causes a slosh to the back.

The only way to locate a leak on the top of the engine (EGR cooler or Turbo) is to remove the top sound cover, then pry the foam block from around the injector rails, EGR housing and then you can see the EGR cooler. The turbo hoses require a bore scope tool to look under the turbo and intake manifold.

Good luck.