• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Leak - Turbo coolant line

superdav

Feb 17, 2023
Truck Year
Hello friends, I have been using this site since i purchased my 2015 EcoDiesel about a year ago and thought I would share my coolant issue I had with some pictures and videos to help the next fellow.
I have been experiencing the mystery coolant leak like several folks have noted here where the pressure tank would drop coolant levels randomly, however did not have any visual leaks. That was up until about a month ago, I walk out to my truck and see a puddle underneath the rear part of the engine.

I inspected the front hoses, took off the belt cover to expose the water pump and it was mostly dry, no evidence of leaks. After putting it on jack stands it started running down the bottom of the oil pan and transmission pan cover. After researching some more posts on this site, I narrowed it down to the dreaded turbo coolant line as a possibility.

A quick call to the local dealer and he verified it was not covered on the EGR extended warranty, and I already knew the labor cost would be 2-3K so I dove in with the help of the "too much soot" video on youtube. So I ordered a new turbo coolant hose off amazon with the braded flexible part of the line, the 5mm ball end Allen wrench, and also as a backup a 3/8 silicon hose with clamps. After working about 5-6 hours leaning over the truck (multiple days) I finally got the intake manifold out and with relief saw a puddle under the coolant rubber portion of the line and a slow drip. Not happy that it happened, just happy did not spend all this time and body ache for that not to be the problem.

This is were I am stopping for the day and have decided to give a go at replacing the entire line as opposed to just the rubber portion. There is another solid line in the way of the upper turbo coolant banjo nut that I am going to try and take off, but need a flexible end ratcheting 19mm wrench to take off one of the line connectors.

Also the intake manifold was pretty clogged up so I am going to attempt to clean. Acouple rounds of degreaser and the water hose got alot of it, but I am going to try some oven cleaner after I get some.

I'll update the post as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3050.jpg
    IMG_3050.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 37

pimienta38

Feb 25, 2023
Truck Year
Thankyou for all the article..so much appreciated..I think that's my(truck) problem

superdav

Feb 17, 2023
Truck Year
Update, waiting on some warmer weather to put things back together, however I did get a chance to clean the manifold as best I could.
I used some oven cleaner from Walmart as shown in the picture. I gave it three hot baths in water in between soaking with the cleaner for about 5 mins each. Did some scrubbing inside with a rag. Its about 95% clean now.

I was not able to get to the rear banjo bolt so going with just the silicon tube replacement.

Uploaded after pics and the original leak flowing from bottom of oil pan area.

Attachments

• IMG_3056.jpg
    IMG_3056.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 32
  • leak.png
    leak.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

superdav

Feb 17, 2023
Truck Year
Update: was able to put everything back together. Here is a pic of the repair, so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 39

MelRob

Apr 19, 2023
Truck Year
Great writeup. I just bought a 2016 with 53k on it and already the water pump started leaking...grhhh. I'm trying to decide if I want to try and change it out myself or pay the local shop about $500 for labor. Hoping this isn't a bad omen for what otherwise is a very nice truck. Keep up the good work!