• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CV Axle issues

MTJeff1222

Feb 1, 2023
Truck Year
4 years ago I had Les Schwab put in a rough Country 4" lift. They kept the Original CV Axles. a year ago my CV axles blew out while hunting in MT. I went back to them and they said that was not the right Lift for this truck. So they had to do a spacer that lowers the front an inch and then put in extended range CV axles. Within a month both CV axles blew up. They figured it was bad parts. and replaced them both. 2 months later one of the CV axles blew again! I went back to them and they gave me a new CV Axle and I replaced it myself. Its been 2 months and here we go again, that same CV axle popped. I have a feeling that these are junk CV Axles and I'm hoping someone may know of a Heavy Duty Extended Range CV Axles for the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4WD.

MTJeff1222

Feb 1, 2023
Truck Year
crickets...... Nobody has experienced this? I can't be the only one? LOL

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I have not seen anyone report any cv axle issues. I have the 2” kit in my truck for the past 60k miles and have 170k on my stock ones.

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
I don’t have a lift on my 2018 Ecodiesel but I can say in the last 2 and half years I’ve gone through 2 CV axles. The first time at 90,000km (2020) I noticed both boots were torn. The passenger boot was replaced and the whole driver side axle had to be replaced. Then about a year ago the passenger side cv axle had to be replaced completely. I just had my truck in for an oil change last week and was told the cv axle seal (connected to transfer case) on the driver side is leaking and will need replacement.

Jdewar

Jul 31, 2023
Truck Year
I don’t even have a lift in mine and it eats CVs. Just doing an oil change today and noted the CVs are worn out again. Aaarrrgghhhh

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
My 2014 has presently 183K miles and my right side boot has torn, may be my fault, OK it is my fault, so I am expecting to replace in the near future.

I was removing the airbags and installing shock spring struts and may have pinched things while forcing my way vs. the trucks way.

From my Chevy days, anything from 4 inch and above lifts created all kinds of CV shaft issues. My son and several of my customers looked long and hard for a "Heavy Duty Lift CV shaft" with no luck. Most of my customers suffered U-joint failures as well, but we were able to source heavier joints for that.