• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF pump failure at 14000 miles

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Have you ever removed the DEF injector right in front of the SCR? The injector gets all plugged up with crystalized DEF.

I clean mine everytime I change the oil, sometimes sooner.

Best way I've learned to tell now if it's plugged up is if I take a quick wiff of the exhaust, if you don't smell def, it's probably plugged or only 1 of the three injector ports is getting fluid through.

It's super easy to do and only takes 2-5 min. (maybe a little longer the first time, it's one allan key to remove the clamp, then hit it with steam, and put it back in)

You'd be surprised how badly crystalized the injector gets even with 3-4 months, it's all crystalized and plugged up right there. If you've never cleaned it, I bet the problem is a plugged injector, and of course the dealer wants to sell you more stuff...

It's so easy to remove, there's a great youtube video, and if you have a hand-held steamer, that works perfect as that will liquify the crystals and the injector comes out spanking clean...

Here's the video from Shawn, who's sadly no longer with us... but has done a lot on his 2014 to help the rest of us.

Scroll ahead to about 4:25 when he experiments with a steamer and realizes DEF chunky crystals comes off like butter leaving the injector brand new again.

Yeah, I had watched this video a few weeks ago. I was thinking about trying that, but theyve already looked at it and called it bad and the warranty is gonna cover it. If I cant get it changed before my trip, I will give it a go. Just gotta find a cheap steam gun and a way to power it up cause my apartment is like 150 yards to the parking lot and Im upstairs on the second floor. Not sure my power outlet in the truck could handle it. Definitely a good idea!

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah, I had watched this video a few weeks ago. I was thinking about trying that, but theyve already looked at it and called it bad and the warranty is gonna cover it. If I cant get it changed before my trip, I will give it a go. Just gotta find a cheap steam gun and a way to power it up cause my apartment is like 150 yards to the parking lot and Im upstairs on the second floor. Not sure my power outlet in the truck could handle it. Definitely a good idea!
The injector usually doesn't need to be replaced. Dealers just want to make $$$ off of warrantee stuff. A quick zap with steam and it will come right off and open it up. Funny how the dealers don't even know that it can be cleaned really easily. You don't need a pressure gun, just a steamer (like the ones that you use to clean the floor or a clothes steamer, maybe check amazon) - they usually have a hand held tip that works well. Literally comes off in 2-3 seconds.