• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF

Gwiseman

Sep 18, 2019
Truck Year
I’m new to diesels and had to learn about DEF. I recently filled my DEF tank but when I got back into my truck the dial on the dash showed that I was still only half full, leading me to believe that the dial is broken. Has anybody else had this issue?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I’m new to diesels and had to learn about DEF. I recently filled my DEF tank but when I got back into my truck the dial on the dash showed that I was still only half full, leading me to believe that the dial is broken. Has anybody else had this issue?
Is there any chance you're truck has a tuned ECU? Did you buy it privately or from a dealer? Some (not all) ECU tunes may disable the DEF gauge.

LESS LIKELY IN SEPTEMBER:
I'm assuming you live in a warm climate? In winter, DEF freezes at -11oC and since the DEF tank has some kinda float, if the def freezes, the gauge will remain the same until you bring the truck into a garage to warm it up. It does have a heater at the bottom of the tank to thaw out just enough to keep it running properly, but there have been cases that it'll freeze in the tank (so they say never to keep it full during the winter - maybe 2/3 full to leave room for some expansion).

John

Nov 13, 2015
I have seen issues with the DEF level sensor located within the DEF tank that can cause this problem. I think it's unlikely to be the gauge itself. Some owners have reported a slight delay with the DEF level reading after filling the tank. Let's hope it's not the level sensor since it's not serviceable and requires a new tank.

When you say you filled the tank, I assume you mean you topped it off?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I have seen issues with the DEF level sensor located within the DEF tank that can cause this problem. I think it's unlikely to be the gauge itself. Some owners have reported a slight delay with the DEF level reading after filling the tank. Let's hope it's not the level sensor since it's not serviceable and requires a new tank.

When you say you filled the tank, I assume you mean you topped it off?
That's a possibility too. Expensive cause you can't open the tank. It needs replacing. Or just run without a guage. A tank lasts about 12000 km so set your odometer next time you fill it.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've had to re-set the Gage on a few Trucks Via-WITech , I cannot explain why they stick , after re-setting they worked fine.

Gwiseman

Sep 18, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for all the responses. No I don’t live in a cold climate, Western WA