• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Does your lift pump make a noise?

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
I had a similar issue with my truck just cranking but no start. The first time it didn't start, I jiggled a couple relays and it started. Everything was normal for a week and then while leaving my driveway it shut off. Once again I wiggled relays and wires and started again. Operated normal for about a week and then died while driving through neighborhood. Would crank but no start regardless of any wiggling. So being that it was Friday night, had it towed to my work lot. Spent a few hours over the weekend checking all connections under cab and cleaning the TIPM connectors, replaced a few relays and 9:00pm Sunday night, it started four separate times. So even though I was hesitant, I chose to drive it home and made it all of 1/2 mile before it died and wouldn't start. Had it towed to a independent diesel repair shop and their diagnostic solution was it being a bad in-tank fuel pump. So apparently it must have shorted itself on/off at random times before finally giving up. Of course, as of this moment, I haven't got it back so wee shall see.
My pump failed in tank according to the stealership I took it to. Then they said the filter housing/heater never had a filter change and it contaminated the entire system. Then I receive a 15-thousand dollar quote on a truck I made 2 payments on. Warranty would not cover it. Then I negotiate the repairs down to the in tank pump, the filter/heater housing, the HP fuel pump (which is supposed to be a recall item), and a new TIPM. The service writer told me "oh yeah, I heard the tech start it up and idle it before shutting it down." I went to pick up the truck, twisted the key in front of the tech and the service writer with a WTF look on my face and asked him in front of her "Didn't you start this before you put it here? She said you did." He looked at me and said "I didn't start it at all, I just put in the pump as instructed."

$5,600 dollars later I got my truck the F**k out of there. It has sat in my driveway since JANUARY. I get a notice from FCA two weeks ago notifying me of a HP Fuel pump recall, but "they have no solution yet." They also detailed how the pump can possibly contaminate the entire fuel system, compromising the in tank pump and filter/housing.

VERY interesting. I'll be on the phone with them Tuesday afternoon with my lawyer on the line.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
My pump failed in tank according to the stealership I took it to. Then they said the filter housing/heater never had a filter change and it contaminated the entire system. Then I receive a 15-thousand dollar quote on a truck I made 2 payments on. Warranty would not cover it. Then I negotiate the repairs down to the in tank pump, the filter/heater housing, the HP fuel pump (which is supposed to be a recall item), and a new TIPM. The service writer told me "oh yeah, I heard the tech start it up and idle it before shutting it down." I went to pick up the truck, twisted the key in front of the tech and the service writer with a WTF look on my face and asked him in front of her "Didn't you start this before you put it here? She said you did." He looked at me and said "I didn't start it at all, I just put in the pump as instructed."

$5,600 dollars later I got my truck the F**k out of there. It has sat in my driveway since JANUARY. I get a notice from FCA two weeks ago notifying me of a HP Fuel pump recall, but "they have no solution yet." They also detailed how the pump can possibly contaminate the entire fuel system, compromising the in tank pump and filter/housing.

VERY interesting. I'll be on the phone with them Tuesday afternoon with my lawyer on the line.
I cannot speak for our EDs but I had a Duramax and forgot to drain the filter assembly/water separator several times in a row. The water became overwhelming and went into the fuel system and messed up the hpfp and burnt the injectors. My mechanical breakdown insurance from Allstate cover the 9k bill. It is possible that water contained in the system did cause some of the issue, but hard to say without actual seeing it as I did on my truck. Just food for thought. Just don't get mad at the tech. Sounds like you had a crappy service writer.