• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DPF REGENS

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I parked next to another ECO a couple of days ago and noticed it was idling, I had been watching a young woman approach it & asked her if I could offer some advice and proceeded to tell her that letting it idle wasn't good, she said "it's ok there's people in it" I said thats not the issue & she cut me off, so I told her she is begging for some very expensive breakdowns, she acted like she could care less, so I left her with "take it for what it's worth". I gues 305 years or so of varied diesel experience means nothing, Although DPF & SCR are new to me thers a reason why these trucks are having DPF issues & IMO part of that problem is related to unfinished regens, I may be wrong, but when mine starts a REGEN it finishes unless it's not possible, but it WILL complete on the next drive cycle, I think short trips & low exhaust temps soot things up quicker, & that's one of the bad things about the programming on these rigs

John

Nov 13, 2015
I thought idling produced very little soot in the DPF. There was that guy who did some sort of delivery work and he idled his truck for hours as he slept in it. I remember him saying the soot load was minimal. I know there are plenty of other reasons not to idle for extended periods, but didn't think the DPF was on of them.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
You are probably correct about the quantity produced.IMO, because exhaust temps are lower the soot doesn't burn off as well, in the short trips around town here I can watch the load creep up to REGEN mass load in 50 miles or so, take it for a cruise & the mass drops some without going into REGEN, I think the short trips are a big issue for these engines & emission systems. I haven't seen any difference in exhaust temperatures when doing a REGEN. here in our little town you can literally drive for the north end through to the south end in 3 minutes if you don't get behind a snowbird or an illegal driving 15 mph, they ALWAYS drive at least 10 mph under the posted limit, I've always attributed it to the difference between mph & kph.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I believe the idling is bad due to unburnt diesel making its way into the oil? Not to the dpf system. But I could be mistaken.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I could see extended idling below operating temp causing issues, but if you can maintain operating temp at an idle then I'm not sure what the issue would be other than a constant flow of egr gagging the engine if it's not turned off somehow

John

Nov 13, 2015
I could see extended idling below operating temp causing issues, but if you can maintain operating temp at an idle then I'm not sure what the issue would be other than a constant flow of egr gagging the engine if it's not turned off somehow
A diesel will cool itself down at idle even if it was first brought up to operating temperature. High idle is necessary to protect the engine.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
First the EGR valve is closed at idle, these newer diesel engines all of them don't really have many issues with the old saying grocery getting freeway traffic etc, most of that was created by people who benefit from you buying something from them, all modern engines can handle almost any kind of driving

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Is that so???? I wonder why mine shows an EGR position of anywhere from 8 to 14 percent at idle ? Foot completely off the throttle and coasting on highway usually isn't zero either

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
First the EGR valve is closed at idle, these newer diesel engines all of them don't really have many issues with the old saying grocery getting freeway traffic etc, most of that was created by people who benefit from you buying something from them, all modern engines can handle almost any kind of driving
Its closed if it has a tune, otherwise no i can't agree