• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Draining fuel/water separator

Moparmarty50

Jan 4, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I’ve had my ‘18 Ecodiesel just short of 1 year now (10,900 mi.) and so far so good. I understand the procedure of draining the fuel/water separator per the manual when the warning light comes on. I know water in the fuel is a result of fuel quality. I was wondering if just opening the drain periodically (say every few thousand miles) would be beneficial in keeping the water in fuel light from coming on (or postpone it)? Does water just sit in the plastic fuel filter cap when present? The Mrs. drives it some and doesn’t worry much about dash lights/warnings. As of today I have not drained any water from the separator.
I’ve been reading many posts on different subjects. Learning as I go. Great forum!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You would need to drain it regularly Bimonthly to have any effect...Generally if you fine water ( 6oz or more) in the reservoir, its to late.

Moparmarty50

Jan 4, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
That should be easy enough. If the water in fuel light does NOT come on then I take it I only need to loosen the drain screw and let it drain and not turn on the ignition to purge using the fuel pump.

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
Make sure you document (in writing and video if you do it yourself) the draining to meet requirements in your maintenance schedule. You don't want a warranty denial because you didn't do something as scheduled.

podhauler

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I changed my filter after 1 year of use. 65,000 km. it had exactly 0 water. Other than a darker colour, it probably could have been put back into use! I guess I found a clean fuelling station.