• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco Diesel Engine maintenance and upgrades

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hello all! I have a 2022 1500 ecodiesel. Question about tuning. Does that void the manufacturer warranty, or extended warranty, from the dealership? I was able to get the hpfp recall completed at the dealership a couple months ago. I went in for an oil change and they happened to have parts, so I guess I got lucky. Does anyone use fuel additives, if so, which ones?
Hotshots

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year
It is important to use the proper oil and to change at required intervals or earlier.

Your 2015 originally required Mopar #68001334-PB, 5w-30 (Chrysler MS-11106 Specs)
FCA changed to Shell Rotella T-6, 5w-40 (5th Edition Diesel Supplement, 7/2016)

In April this year a member of another forum called VM Motori, the Ecodiesel manufacturer,
and asked them what is the best oil for his Ecodiesel. They said:
Synthetic European oil, MS-12991, 5w-40.

There are two major oil companies for Synthetic European oil, MS-12991, 5w-40:
Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 - 5-Quart 22.97 Walmart & Amazon
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 - 5-Quart 26.44 Walmart & Amazon

Here are my rules for changing oil:
1 - Remove the oil fill cap.
2 - Open Fumato valve (or drain plug) and let the oil drain for 30-45 minutes.
3 - Remove the oil filter.
4 - install the new filter, oil the O-Ring
5 - Close the Fumato valve (or install the drain plug).
6 - Fill with 10.5 qts oil.
7 – Wait 20-30 minutes before starting allowing the oil to fill all passages.
8 - Run engine for 1 minute. Shut off, wait 20-30 minutes to final check oil level.
9 - Reset the EVIC Oil Life. On the confirm screen scroll up or down to get “OK” screen.
Scroll up or down to get “OK” on the center window. Then push to confirm.
Mine 2020 3.0 holds 8.5 quarts.

Ego diesel

Sep 28, 2019
Truck Year
I am New to this site and I have a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel with 63k miles in California. What can I do to my engine that will help prevent future problems in California that will not get me in trouble. ?
Remove and upgrade the engine oil cooler it will eventually breach and cause coolant and oil to mix also upgrade your charge pipes also do the delete for the EGR cuz it also will have a breach with antifreeze leaking into the exhaust and burning off also banjo fitting from block to Turbo needs to be steel braided line so you have to take the stock one and add steel braided mesh over top of the rubber line so it can't expand caus leak into Valley of engine

Zooyork0311

Apr 13, 2024
Truck Year
I use hot shots everyday fuel treatment in my fuel. From what it says, it lubricates injectors and prevents rust build up. Seems to be doing a good job. I only use it to help the longevity of my fuel pump. With all the horror stories out there, I figured it couldn’t hurt.

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
I am New to this site and I have a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel with 63k miles in California. What can I do to my engine that will help prevent future problems in California that will not get me in trouble. ?
Green Diesel Engineering tune passes the Cal emissions. I have it in Canada. The dealer installed updates on my 2015 turning it into a dog and fuel pig. I spent the $1100 and worth every penny. I pull 30 mpg at 70+ mph. If our truck is peppy with great fuel economy, leave it alone. Use Rotella T6 5-40 only and use Mopar fuel filters. Good luck.

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
Remove and upgrade the engine oil cooler it will eventually breach and cause coolant and oil to mix also upgrade your charge pipes also do the delete for the EGR cuz it also will have a breach with antifreeze leaking into the exhaust and burning off also banjo fitting from block to Turbo needs to be steel braided line so you have to take the stock one and add steel braided mesh over top of the rubber line so it can't expand caus leak into Valley of engine
There should be a recall on the egr already done. My 2015 is finally going in for the hpfp replacement,

Todtod

Dec 7, 2023
Truck Year
Green Diesel Engineering tune passes the Cal emissions. I have it in Canada. The dealer installed updates on my 2015 turning it into a dog and fuel pig. I spent the $1100 and worth every penny. I pull 30 mpg at 70+ mph. If our truck is peppy with great fuel economy, leave it alone. Use Rotella T6 5-40 only and use Mopar fuel filters. Good luck.
Exact same here, Green Diesel Tune, Rotella T6 5w/40 only but I also use a wix WF10245 fuel filter. Also clean the DEF injector and where it mounts with steam if you get a P20EE code or every 50,000 miles. At every 60k change the trans to fluid (Mopar only)and filter. I recommend the aftermarket aluminum pan with replaceable filter from PPE https://ppepower.com/products/transmission-pan-heavy-duty-cast-aluminum-8hp70-8hp75
Lastly at 100k replace your intake as the EGR system will fill the inside with oily soot and prevent the swirl valves from functioning properly, along with power loss. And while there replace the 3/8" coolant line by cutting the clamp rings and replacing the hose using Oetiker clamps (dealership will want to remove the cab to replace the hose assembly). You may be able to clean the removed intake if sensors and valve actuator function properly.

DO NOT try to clean the intake while installed as you run the risk of hydro locking the engine and potential valve and cylinder damage if hard chunks of carbon break off.

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
Exact same here, Green Diesel Tune, Rotella T6 5w/40 only but I also use a wix WF10245 fuel filter. Also clean the DEF injector and where it mounts with steam if you get a P20EE code or every 50,000 miles. At every 60k change the trans to fluid (Mopar only)and filter. I recommend the aftermarket aluminum pan with replaceable filter from PPE https://ppepower.com/products/transmission-pan-heavy-duty-cast-aluminum-8hp70-8hp75
Lastly at 100k replace your intake as the EGR system will fill the inside with oily soot and prevent the swirl valves from functioning properly, along with power loss. And while there replace the 3/8" coolant line by cutting the clamp rings and replacing the hose using Oetiker clamps (dealership will want to remove the cab to replace the hose assembly). You may be able to clean the removed intake if sensors and valve actuator function properly.

DO NOT try to clean the intake while installed as you run the risk of hydro locking the engine and potential valve and cylinder damage if hard chunks of carbon break off.
All good info. Tks

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year

Just did the def injecter and tank.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Green Diesel Engineering tune passes the Cal emissions.
GDE does not pass CARB emissions. GDE cannot sell to Califunny truck owners.

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year
8:33

a static.nhtsa.gov

STAR ONLINE PUBLICATION

Jeep

MOPAR.

Case Number: S2109000010

Release Date: August 2021

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: 3,0L Ecodiesel Engine Oil Information

Discussion: There has been continued confusion from the field as to which engine oil is recommended to use in which generation of the 3.0L Ecodiesel, Although the same weight of oil is recommended on both generations, the API rating for these oils is different. The different AP| ratings are not compatible between both generations of engine. The following information outlines which oil is recommended based on which generation Ecodiesel you are working on.

GEN 2, 3.0L Ecodiesel Engine Oil Specification:

The GEN 2, 3,0L Ecodiesel is available in all 2014-2019 DS (Ram 1500) and WK

(Jeep Grand Cherokee) vehicies. The recommended oil for the GEN 2, 3.0L engine is a 5W-40 weight full synthetic engine oil such as Mopar part numbers 68001332PB and 68231021G8, or Shell Rotella, that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ4, ACEA E9/E7, or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil categories.

GEN 3, 3.0L Ecodiesel Engine Oil Specification:

The GEN 3, 3.0L Ecodiesel is available in all 2020 and newer DT (Ram 1500), JL (Jeep Wrangler), and JT (Jeep Gladiator) vehicles. The recommended oil for the GEN 3, 3.0L engine is a 5w40 weight fuil synthetic engine oil such as Mopar part numbers

05166241P and 05166241GA, or Penzoil Platinum Euro, that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN or SN+ engine oil category.

Using the oil specified for the GEN 2 engine in the GEN 3, will lead to deposits forming In the turbo charger, leading to reduced performance.

Contact 81%% Scolet, at yout Trelaical Sssistance Senter yas Televonelee cos boss tele aren

<