• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel Engine Knocking One Cylinder

madbed

May 10, 2023
Truck Year
I have a lovely 2015 Ram Ecodiesel w/ 109,000 miles. I'm the second owner since 2018 and I did the Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) recall V11 back in 2019 as part of the Ecodieselsettlement.com between FCA and the EPA & CARB. By doing this recall I have the extended warranty that cover certain diesel components and emission related ones. Between these items is the Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor which is part to the black plastic intake manifold. The extended warranty of the settlement cover 120,000 miles and 10 years from the sales date.

I've been having the engine light on and the dealer reset it twice thinking it's a sporadic issue. I took the EGR plunger out (photo attached)

EGR Plunger.jpeg

and there are a lot of soot around the tube that feeds into the intake manifold. I took a picture of inside the intake manifold and for my surprise it was full with soot.
Intake Manifold.jpeg
I asked the dealer to replace the intake manifold based on the amount of the soot inside as it can't be cleaned but they are reluctant to change it. For me there's no question that photo inside the manifold is a good X Ray of how the engine is full with this soot. The third time it came on the dealer workshop tech reset it hoping it would come back on again but it didn't come straight away. I took the truck back to run and hope the engine light to come but next day for my bad luck the engine started knocking on the highway while i was at 70 miles and around 2500 rpm. I stopped right away and towed it back to the dealer. Dealer tech said "cylinder 3 doesn't have enough compression and knocking" something in this line. Now I'm stuck with engine damaged. Oil level is good, oil ran 2400 miles since reset and is at 40%. I don't have the engine opened to troubleshoot the issue accurately but It appears to me that bearing of 3rd cylinder didn't get enough oil. And that could be a clogged gallery in the lubrication system due to the soot in the system.

I only used Rotella synthetic oil T6.

Can anyone shed some light on my situation? I'm asking FCA to warrant the engine since I've been having the light on for some time and the damage could be caused by the soot which is consequence of the diesel components / emission extended warranty.
Is the soot inside the intake manifold enough indication to replace it?
What could cause engine to lack lubrication and knock at 109 K mile?
Clogged Intake.png
Intake Swirl Actuator.jpeg

madbed

May 10, 2023
Truck Year
I'm glad to announce FCA stood up to the plate and is going to change my engine. Thank you to their area district manager at FCA.