• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel failure

Mikesmith065

Apr 22, 2020
Truck Year
Hi folks. Found this forum while searching issues following the engine failure of my 2016 RAM 1500 at little less than 75k miles. Dealer says EGR cooler failed, coolant into intake, engine failure at interstate speed that would have made NASCAR proud. Enlightening search as I'm now seeing common threads to problems I've had:
1. The dreaded engine blowing - new engine being installed.
2. Slow and sluggish acceleration when starting from a rolling stop. Seems like the transmission is lagging in down shifting and tries to start start in 3rd gear.
3. Transmission locking up in gear when slowing for a stop, wouldn't go up or down. Rebooting of the transmission module seems to have fixed this.
4. Reduced mileage after the exhaust recall correction. Admittedly I was still evaluating this issue, not a biggie, when I got distracted with the blown engine.

I was actually enjoying the truck. Now wonder if it was a good decision. Have a good day.
Mike

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Welcome!

These motors are deffinately creatures of habit when it comes to issues. Most everyone has had luck with a tune to eliminate issues.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mike its mandatory to tune , I only know of few owners that are 100% Hwy that are COC that made 200K miles after that most claimed it was a wallet suck up in repairs. What's more troubling the Replacement is the same risk. Many like Myself in the 1/2 ton went back to Gas, I will wait out Fiat, I won't buy another VM Motori until the power plant is completely changed. VM Motori has drop the Eco 3.0 from its advertising Campaign. IMO its only (Short) time before the engine OOP (Out of Production).

https://www.vmmotori.it/en/

IRH

Mar 2, 2020
Truck Year
Hi folks. Found this forum while searching issues following the engine failure of my 2016 RAM 1500 at little less than 75k miles. Dealer says EGR cooler failed, coolant into intake, engine failure at interstate speed that would have made NASCAR proud. Enlightening search as I'm now seeing common threads to problems I've had:
1. The dreaded engine blowing - new engine being installed.
2. Slow and sluggish acceleration when starting from a rolling stop. Seems like the transmission is lagging in down shifting and tries to start start in 3rd gear.
3. Transmission locking up in gear when slowing for a stop, wouldn't go up or down. Rebooting of the transmission module seems to have fixed this.
4. Reduced mileage after the exhaust recall correction. Admittedly I was still evaluating this issue, not a biggie, when I got distracted with the blown engine.

I was actually enjoying the truck. Now wonder if it was a good decision. Have a good day.
Mike
EGR cooler is prone to failure. In Canada there is a safety recall [VB1] to replace the EGR cooler and possibly the intake manifold if it has been damaged at no cost to the owner. My 2015 is going into the dealer when they get the replacement egr and parts kit IRH

Pat’s RAM

Jan 28, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I don’t recall where I left off with discussing the Ecodiesel motor. My story is it self destructed at about 38,000 miles. The warranty covered a replacement engine, rental vehicle and all that. The bad news is it took 60 days to get my truck back. Now I’m in a quandary whether to keep it or move on to something else. I absolutely love the way it drives, the power and the phenomenal fuel mileage. But now I wonder how many miles before the new engine decides to go south on me. My driving style for this truck is almost all strictly highway driving for usually no less than 1/2 hour at a time. I have changed the oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Trying to decide what to do now. It seems I’ve heard the 2020 model engine has been almost completely redesigned. I now wonder if I should move on up to that year model.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I would keep it

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Ooops! I'm not getting in the middle of that one. It took a while but I learned that that wifeys win :ROFLMAO:
It's a no brainer, get a new one (truck, not wifey)

Pat’s RAM

Jan 28, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Good advice. I learned that about 30 years ago, too. Be a lot cheaper to get a new truck.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Yep! It took me about 35 years and that made the next 20 years much happier. Then 11 years ago she got pancreatic cancer and was gone in 5 months. Was never sick a day in her life - what a shocker.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I say sell it, the engine is out of production, if you think 60 Days was a long wait, it will be longer on the next major repair. What disturbs me is the next owner risk.

The 2020 changes are just the dressing, same original design, Many other makers dropped Dual EGR to to it complexed operation and maintenance.

I practice forgiveness in the the garage rather then the dealership.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I had a dream last night mine went into limp mode for the first time 😂😂 I love my truck but damn if it doesn’t make ya second guess

David Mosby

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
Mike its mandatory to tune , I only know of few owners that are 100% Hwy that are COC that made 200K miles after that most claimed it was a wallet suck up in repairs. What's more troubling the Replacement is the same risk. Many like Myself in the 1/2 ton went back to Gas, I will wait out Fiat, I won't buy another VM Motori until the power plant is completely changed. VM Motori has drop the Eco 3.0 from its advertising Campaign. IMO its only (Short) time before the engine OOP (Out of Production).

https://www.vmmotori.it/en/
I am a client of Stern Law and they advised me the tune modification is not mandatory, in fact, they told me to explicitly tell the dealer service NOT to do any of that work. Two weeks ago my engine blew, and I wonder if I get a new engine.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
Sell the truck!!! The diesel mechanic where mine has been repaired said it's a bad diesel design for the U.S. market. He said deleting all the EPA crap will definitely help, but you get into a whole different problem with making the modifications, including voiding the warranty, issue if you travel into countries like Canada who might not allow the truck in if the pollution devices have been deleted, that can even apply to going into other states. Then if you sell it, you will have to "de-tune" it and put it back to factory original or you face certain legal issues depending on the state you live in.

I didn't pay $47,000 for a diesel to have to tune it to make it work right and then face the various issues once you tune it. I will wait for the 2021 models to come out this fall and I will be going back to a gas engine. I don't know if it will be Ram, but when you compare them to Ford and Chevy, you get an equally equipped Ram for $8,000 - $10,000 less than the others so the Ram is very appealing.

It will be interesting too see what affect the COVID-19situation will have on vehicle sales if any. Many are expecting large incentives to be coming along but I don't think you're going to see that to any great degree. Anyone have any thoughts on the issue?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I am a client of Stern Law and they advised me the tune modification is not mandatory, in fact, they told me to explicitly tell the dealer service NOT to do any of that work. Two weeks ago my engine blew, and I wonder if I get a new engine.

The Vehicle is NOT COC compliant, its a violation of CAA law. It would be unlikely that any Judge would support exempting any vehicle from NOT complying. The settlement requires FCA to monitor compliance. Another one pukes does not surprise Me.