• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel locks up

Wadem

Jan 30, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all, I’m in a real bind and hope y’all will chime in with some ideas. To make a very long story short, I bought a used 2014 Ram eco diesel in 2017 with approximately 80kk miles on it. I’ve put 140k additional miles on it since 2017. The first 2 years I owned it dodge replaced 4 sets of injectors and it’s currently got it’s 4th different EGR cooler. Also about 3 months ago it was throwing a code and the dealership replaced the intake manifold. I was worried that the leaking EGR coolers might cause me engine problems down the road but in 2019 the had a big emission recall that extended the warranty on almost everything on top of the engine for an additional 48k no matter how many miles it currently had. Fast forward to last month when I was using cruise control at 70mph my speed started dropping rapidly. No dash warning lights but when it didn’t respond to my foot on the accelerator I pulled over immediately and the engine had shut off on its own. I popped the hood to check for overheating but it hadn’t overheated. I then crawled underneath and there was oil everywhere covering basically the entire bottom of the truck. I then had it towed to the dealership where after 2 weeks they told me that a turbo feeder line had ruptured and since it was under pressure it pumped all the oil out while I was driving. They said that luckily the feeder tube was covered under my emissions warranty. After they got that repaired they called me to say “now your engine is locked up!” They said it must be because the feeder line rupture leaked the oil out while driving and that an engine should be covered under the warranty since a warrantied part caused engine failure. Great news until they called me back and said Chrysler demanded oil change receipts which I didn’t have because I change my own oil 80% of the the time and didn’t save any. They then dropped the oil pan and said they found bearing debris and sludge so they won’t cover the engine damage. Now they want me to pay them $13,000 for a new engine and they want to charge me $35 a day for the rental car they gave me back when this first happened. I know the truck has a lot of miles but to me if a part covered under warranty fails and causes engine failure then the engine should be covered, isn’t this considered “causible damage” also, I’ve always been diligent about changing the oil and fuel filter both before they we’re actually due. Maybe I’m just screwed but wanted to see what y’all think. Thanks in advance for any advice

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Dang, totally sucks. Sorry mate. It is stories like these that make me wonder if I should jump the ecodiesel ship. I would like to keep the truck another 10 years if I can. Good luck, keep us updated.

Wade McCumber

May 17, 2017
Truck Year
Dang, totally sucks. Sorry mate. It is stories like these that make me wonder if I should jump the ecodiesel ship. I would like to keep the truck another 10 years if I can. Good luck, keep us updated.
Thanks for at least replying. You’re the only one who’s even replied

Reactions: Mac

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year

Wadem, you can buy a brand new diesel engine for $7,500 and have a good mechanic install it for an estimated $1,600. The new engine will come with a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. This is the route I would go in. Your experience is exactly why I don't buy used trucks. Many people don't take care of their trucks, drive them hard, and/or put a tune on it that exceeds engine safety parameters. I have a 2015 EcoDiesel that I use for towing. I have 97,000 miles on with no major issues.​

KevMac

Oct 8, 2021
Truck Year

Wadem, you can buy a brand new diesel engine for $7,500 and have a good mechanic install it for an estimated $1,600. The new engine will come with a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. This is the route I would go in. Your experience is exactly why I don't buy used trucks. Many people don't take care of their trucks, drive them hard, and/or put a tune on it that exceeds engine safety parameters. I have a 2015 EcoDiesel that I use for towing. I have 97,000 miles on with no major issues.​

biodiesel,

I am interested to find our how/where to source a new engine for $7500. (I have a 2015 ecodiesel with a engine failure 200,000 kms bought it new and had it serviced regularly)

KevMac

Oct 8, 2021
Truck Year
Hello all, I’m in a real bind and hope y’all will chime in with some ideas. To make a very long story short, I bought a used 2014 Ram eco diesel in 2017 with approximately 80kk miles on it. I’ve put 140k additional miles on it since 2017. The first 2 years I owned it dodge replaced 4 sets of injectors and it’s currently got it’s 4th different EGR cooler. Also about 3 months ago it was throwing a code and the dealership replaced the intake manifold. I was worried that the leaking EGR coolers might cause me engine problems down the road but in 2019 the had a big emission recall that extended the warranty on almost everything on top of the engine for an additional 48k no matter how many miles it currently had. Fast forward to last month when I was using cruise control at 70mph my speed started dropping rapidly. No dash warning lights but when it didn’t respond to my foot on the accelerator I pulled over immediately and the engine had shut off on its own. I popped the hood to check for overheating but it hadn’t overheated. I then crawled underneath and there was oil everywhere covering basically the entire bottom of the truck. I then had it towed to the dealership where after 2 weeks they told me that a turbo feeder line had ruptured and since it was under pressure it pumped all the oil out while I was driving. They said that luckily the feeder tube was covered under my emissions warranty. After they got that repaired they called me to say “now your engine is locked up!” They said it must be because the feeder line rupture leaked the oil out while driving and that an engine should be covered under the warranty since a warrantied part caused engine failure. Great news until they called me back and said Chrysler demanded oil change receipts which I didn’t have because I change my own oil 80% of the the time and didn’t save any. They then dropped the oil pan and said they found bearing debris and sludge so they won’t cover the engine damage. Now they want me to pay them $13,000 for a new engine and they want to charge me $35 a day for the rental car they gave me back when this first happened. I know the truck has a lot of miles but to me if a part covered under warranty fails and causes engine failure then the engine should be covered, isn’t this considered “causible damage” also, I’ve always been diligent about changing the oil and fuel filter both before they we’re actually due. Maybe I’m just screwed but wanted to see what y’all think. Thanks in advance for any advice
Man that sucks and I feel your pain! I have a 2015 ecodiesel with engine failure and I have had no joy getting a resolution from FCA. My engine rebuilder already had a go at it but now cant source the parts to rebuild it again. In my experience I wish I had gone the new route with the new 100k warranty.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
biodiesel,

I am interested to find our how/where to source a new engine for $7500. (I have a 2015 ecodiesel with a engine failure 200,000 kms bought it new and had it serviced regularly)
It looks like the price has gone up again. It started out at $6,400 (before COVID) and has slowly increased to $7,895. This comes with a new turbo, new injectors, new CP4 pump, and free shipping!

Last edited:

KevMac

Oct 8, 2021
Truck Year
It looks like the price has gone up again. It started out at $6,400 (before COVID) and has slowly increased to $7,895. This comes with a new turbo, new injectors, new CP4 pump, and free shipping!

Thanks I will pass this on to my engine rebuilder, hopefully he can get me up n running again!