• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR and SFT/GDE

John

Nov 13, 2015
Go search YouTube ppl claim gde is a spin-off of a Celtic tune, I saw this like a few years back. All I know is someone cracked the code for the Bosch ecu, was it gde or some euro company I have no clue. Nor do I care, but Celtics tuning website looks like they support way more then what gde does
Now you got a chuckle out of me. If you don't care, why spread rumors?

Pekozip93

Feb 24, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have the one that either shows active or inactive, but I am not sure if that translates to active / passive (I'm assuming that's what it means??) If someone is better familiar with torque pro and understands the PID's I've posted, perhaps they have a better explanation.

Usually when the DPF heats up, regen goes ON for a few min, and Type shows inactive, then once it's hot enough, REGEN stays ON, and TYPE goes ACTIVE.

View attachment 2279

Here's the Torque Pro custom PID's
DPF REGEN MODE
OBD2 Mode and PID: 018b
Long name: DPF REGEN MODE
Short Name: RegenMode
Min Val: 0.0
Max Val: 1.0
Scale Factor x1
Unit Type: Mode
Equation: {B:0}

When you add this to the display, choose the type of display as "On/Off" display

DPF TYPE:
Long name: DPF TYPE
Short Name: DPF Type
Max Val: 1.0
Scale Factor x1
Unit Type: Mode
Equation: {B:1}

When you add this to the display, choose the type of display as "On/Off" display - then go back, hold the button, and change "on/off" wording

This one tells you the DPF soot % (this one tells me when I'm getting close to a regen - 66% triggers a stock / SFT tune regen, 80% triggers regens for GDE tunes
Long name: DPF CAPACITY
Short Name: DPF %
Max Val: 100.0
Scale Factor x1
Unit Type: %
Equation: (C*100)/255
OBD Header: Auto

DPF Temperature
OBD2 Mode and PID: 013c
Long name: DPF Temperature (custom)
Short Name: DPF TEMP
Max Val: 725.0
Scale Factor x1
Unit Type: oC (should be a degree symbol) - I can't find it on this forum)
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/10

CDS
Thanks again for this Torque info, my next little project, this is awesome.

To All who commented on the GDE/SFT questions...John, John (wanted to say the Johns, but you know..), Carl, CDS ....hope I’m not missing someone... I very much appreciate the info you provided. I did however end up going with Sofa King, detailed below.
Installed this morning and Drove about 200 KM today, city and highway:
-Dead Pedal gone, throttle response impressively better!
-overall available power is more linear, stronger across most of the rpm range
-Merging onto highway, from say 60kmh gave it about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and it pulled like never before
-transmission tune contributing to some of the above for certain (kinda wanted to do the engine/tranny separately but whatever)
-shifts are (subjective) “soft but deliberate”
-shifts a bit sooner than stock
-holds 8th gear nicely on the highway
-turbo brake is awesome, toyed wth that today. Nice but mainly applicable to loaded or long downhill drives (in the Province of New Brunswick this would be gold)
-mileage will be better overall, I could tell from the info on the evic. I wont be doing a full and proper comparison for that as i feel the mileage from this vehicle is already very good, any extra is gravy for me. That said, my evic showing average usage during 23000KM was 12.1 Litres/100KM. Mix of Toronto/Mississauga City/Highway and some runs of 500km long every few weeks.
Today, after install the SFT tune, my fuel usage fell to 11.6’L/100KM. ... unscientific i know ...just reporting the numbers for interest sake. (I’d estimate competitor GDE would be at least this good) Consider this is only 1 day...will report back later
-Finally, I can install it via OBD port

Considering the benefits noted above, it was mainly convenience and price that drove me to SFT.
I was also considering GDE, who (generally in addition to above) has done some interesting tweaks to the fuel injection process, and resultant longer time between REGENS. It’s interesting but still not perfectly clear to me how much risk i run with stock REGENS and DPF lifespan, there are indeed compelling arguments on both sides, i tend to think its relevant but hard to assess the longevity of the DPF)
Still, this is an important consideration, but for me, just not worth the extra $$ at this point, the most important thing for me was throttle response and stopping the exhaust garbage from entering my combustion chamber and resultant downstream issues.
Much of this is above my head, but quite interested to see how these tunes develop going forward, GDE apparently does a lot of research and I’m confident there are many other areas in these engines that can be optimized ..shall see.
For now and at this point SFT is good value for me.
Ill certainly report back as the KM’s roll..
Thanks again

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
CDS

To All who commented on the GDE/SFT questions...John, John (wanted to say the Johns, but you know..), Carl, CDS ....hope I’m not missing someone... I very much appreciate the info you provided. I did however end up going with Sofa King, detailed below.
-Merging onto highway, from say 60kmh gave it about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and it pulled like never before
-transmission tune contributing to some of the above for certain (kinda wanted to do the engine/tranny separately but whatever)
-turbo brake is awesome, toyed wth that today. Nice but mainly applicable to loaded or long downhill drives (in the Province of New Brunswick this would be gold)
-mileage will be better overall, I could tell from the info on the evic. I wont be doing a full and proper comparison for that as i feel the mileage from this vehicle is already very good, any extra is gravy for me. That said, my evic showing average usage during 23000KM was 12.1 Litres/100KM. Mix of Toronto/Mississauga City/Highway and some runs of 500km long every few weeks.
Today, after install the SFT tune, my fuel usage fell to 11.6’L/100KM. ... unscientific i know ...just reporting the numbers for interest sake. (I’d estimate competitor GDE would be at least this good) Consider this is only 1 day...will report back later

Considering the benefits noted above, it was mainly convenience and price that drove me to SFT.
I was also considering GDE, who (generally in addition to above) has done some interesting tweaks to the fuel injection process, and resultant longer time between REGENS. It’s interesting but still not perfectly clear to me how much risk i run with stock REGENS and DPF lifespan, there are indeed compelling arguments on both sides, i tend to think its relevant but hard to assess the longevity of the DPF)
Still, this is an important consideration, but for me, just not worth the extra $$ at this point, the most important thing for me was throttle response and stopping the exhaust garbage from entering my combustion chamber and resultant downstream issues.
Much of this is above my head, but quite interested to see how these tunes develop going forward, GDE apparently does a lot of research and I’m confident there are many other areas in these engines that can be optimized ..shall see.
Thanks again

Congrats, you'll enjoy the truck again and you'll also notice your fuel economy improve the more and more the more you drive it. I've had a solid four weeks of city driving with very little highway, city traffic in Mississauga, short trips, probably 90% short trips, and I"m still holding steady at around 9.3-9.5 L/100 km with all city. When I do more highway, it'll drop to the high 8's and low 8's and if I do a tonne of highway, it'll eventually hit 7.9, maybe even 7.8 if the wind is right. Very hard in the city to get it that low...

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
CDS

Thanks again
Thanks for the report, very complete. Seems like all of us SFT users are more than satisfied.
I hope the GDE fanboys who declare that none of the SFT features work will read your report. Maybe, just maybe, they will accept the fact that the SFT tunes work as advertised.

Then I hope they read the EPA interview with GDE owner, Keith. It is quite revealing.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the report, very complete. Seems like all of us SFT users are more than satisfied.
I hope the GDE fanboys who declare that none of the SFT features work will read your report. Maybe, just maybe, they will accept the fact that the SFT tunes work as advertised.

Then I hope they read the EPA interview with GDE owner, Keith. It is quite revealing.
I wouldn't be surprised of SFT is next to get hit by the EPA with an unannounced visit... Especially since they sell in cali... It's so unfortunate, these tunes are the only way to keep our trucks from self-destructing.

Pekozip93

Feb 24, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Congrats, you'll enjoy the truck again and you'll also notice your fuel economy improve the more and more the more you drive it. I've had a solid four weeks of city driving with very little highway, city traffic in Mississauga, short trips, probably 90% short trips, and I"m still holding steady at around 9.3-9.5 L/100 km with all city. When I do more highway, it'll drop to the high 8's and low 8's and if I do a tonne of highway, it'll eventually hit 7.9, maybe even 7.8 if the wind is right. Very hard in the city to get it that low...
[/