• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Cooler recall 2018 Eco Diesel

kurteilrich

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
I got this recall, went to my dealer Jim Browne in Dade City, FL. Service writer said that it is probably no big problem but the parts will not be available until April sometime, and don't worry about it. He said that if it happens to me I will smell anti freeze or see it where I park. I tow my truck behind my Motor Home and go at least 4 to 8 days a month, he said if it happens to mine before the parts are available they will give me a loaner till the parts come in. They will not give a towable vehicle. So I went online and saw several have had the problem with no smell or an the ground, he said that it was sucked through his turbo and went out the exhaust. Just wondering how many people have the problem.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Is your coolant level dropping?

I have added about half a gallon of coolant in 91k miles. I have not noticed any particular smells or seen signs of leaking, but added coolant based on cold level in the bottle. I check it every other week or so. Adding any coolant, unless it just wasn't filled from factory, is too much. So I'm going to delete the EGR altogether instead of waiting on a redesigned cooler.

kurteilrich

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
Is your coolant level dropping?

I have added about half a gallon of coolant in 91k miles. I have not noticed any particular smells or seen signs of leaking, but added coolant based on cold level in the bottle. I check it every other week or so. Adding any coolant, unless it just wasn't filled from factory, is too much. So I'm going to delete the EGR altogether instead of waiting on a redesigned cooler.
Brady, thanks for the info, I haven’t been watch the level that close but now I will. I just turned about 20,000 miles. I tow my truck behind my motor home. Removing it will probably void my warranty. Thanks again

klinder

Jan 17, 2020
Truck Year
I got this recall, went to my dealer Jim Browne in Dade City, FL. Service writer said that it is probably no big problem but the parts will not be available until April sometime, and don't worry about it. He said that if it happens to me I will smell anti freeze or see it where I park. I tow my truck behind my Motor Home and go at least 4 to 8 days a month, he said if it happens to mine before the parts are available they will give me a loaner till the parts come in. They will not give a towable vehicle. So I went online and saw several have had the problem with no smell or an the ground, he said that it was sucked through his turbo and went out the exhaust. Just wondering how many people have the problem.
I had a 2016 eco diesel the EGR cooler failed the coolant gets evaporated and blown out the exhaust you won't see it on the ground if you have this issue. Best to keep an eye on your exhaust when sitting idle and running.

Northern Jet Diesel

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
My 2016 Eco is using/burning anti freeze but no indication on ground/anywhere. Has same smell when they had to change the EGR system, on recall. Also same smell/low level when they repaired/worked on EGR System last two times. Truck back at Dealership today with low level and same smell Again, I just spoke with them...Nothing wrong, not leaking. Told me "the Anti Freeze level fluctuates, does not stay the same level." So I asked "So not leaking, You didn't have to add any to the system? "Oh Yes, He Topped it up". So I asked, Where did it go that he needed to add/Top it up? Tells me "oh it fluctuates so You have to add". I asked "So there are no leaks but You have to add because it fluctuates, even though the overflow is low when truck has been sitting overnight?" Response "I don't want to argue, I am saying it is not leaking." I asked "okay, so how much is this going to cost me? "No charge". My reply Thank God for that. I will pick up today. So while I wait for my anti freeze to FLUCTUATE to failure, how the Hell do You discuss issues with someone who doesn't even know what He is saying? Tell me You cannot find out what is going on, we did our tests, keep an eye on it and bring it back...Don't tell me something that makes no sense. Don't know about anyone else but smelling anti freeze in exhaust tells me bad sh-t is going on inside engine. Like my truck but this EGR design was made to fail.

Tom41

Oct 14, 2020
Truck Year
How difficult is it to remove the EGR on my 2014 ECO Diesel? I have had the EGR replaced by the dealership once but I don't like the idea of the exhaust gases from the turbo going back into the intake manifold. Help, Thanks

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Not that difficult. But be prepared to deal with broken bolts off the exhaust flange, remedied with nuts ran down on the broken off stud. Here's the set of instructions I used. Good luck.

Attachments

• EGR Delete Instructions.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 13