• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

electronic throttle control

Rusty57

Aug 16, 2019
Truck Year
I have 134000 miles on my truck and the only thing that has gone wrong was the egr valve. however today i was at a stop light and the engine stuttered. then the service electronic throttle control message came on. it will only tach about 2800 now. i am assuming it is in limp mode. any thoughts on what i can do short of taking it to a dealer.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
are you tuned or stock ECU? If you're stock, sounds like it could be a choked up MAP sensor covered in soot from the EGR diffuser. Do you know how to pull out the map sensor? It's not hard, I'd remove it and clean all the shit off of it. That is known to cause throttle control errors. esp if it's never been cleaned.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I have 134000 miles on my truck and the only thing that has gone wrong was the egr valve. however today i was at a stop light and the engine stuttered. then the service electronic throttle control message came on. it will only tach about 2800 now. i am assuming it is in limp mode. any thoughts on what i can do short of taking it to a dealer.
watch this vid for how to do it:

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
All stock!
then watch the video, pull the air box out of the way and clean it out.

The trucks are very well known to have engine fires. Still trying to figure out the root cause, but a lot are saying the EGR valve gets stuck in the open position, can overheats the intake, then boom...

Might be worth looking into a tune to shut the EGR off, it'll keep your map sensor from sooting up and keep your intakes from getting sooted up from egr...

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
then watch the video, pull the air box out of the way and clean it out.

The trucks are very well known to have engine fires. Still trying to figure out the root cause, but a lot are saying the EGR valve gets stuck in the open position, can overheats the intake, then boom...

Might be worth looking into a tune to shut the EGR off, it'll keep your map sensor from sooting up and keep your intakes from getting sooted up from egr...
Remove all the plastic from the top of the motor that is the first thing to do

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
Hello, sorry to revive an old thread but please let me add my experience and ask for your help with the same problem. I bought a 2015 ED with 129k km on it. I bought it back in February of 2019. The first problem I encountered is a service def. See dealer. So what I did was a stage 1 tune. As of friday last week my truck threw me a service electronic throttle control See dealer with a 100 DPF regen drive at highway speeds to remedy. How do I fix this? I have bought a 2 yrs warranty when I bought the truck that covers only mechanical repairs. No electrical is covered. So any help to remedy this would be appreciated. Btw I cleaned the EGR valve and boy was it sooted up, also cleaned the maf sensor behind the egr valve but the cel warning stays on my screen. Any ideas how to fix please.

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry I forgot to mention that. Yes I do have a code reader. I got p2463 and u1424. I can clear the u1424 but it keeps coming back as soon as I start the engine. I am unable to clear the P2463. I cannot drive to do a regen either.

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
I dont have a good scan tool. Just a cheap one from the local store. I was wondering though. If I pull the negative on the battery, would that work? If yes how long should leave it unplugged? Thx in advance.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
you can get some decent obdii readers off of amazon for $20-25, and use torque pro app on your phone for $5, great app that do what you need for little $$ if you need more, there's alfaobd

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
Would it make sense if I said that by cleaning the egr valve and the map sensor that my code clear but since my obd2 is from canadian tire (100$), if couldn't clear my codes permanently? I believe that a regen would help my sensor read better and remove the implausible torque reading. But I cannot do a regen unless I have turbo but I cant get turbo torque unless I clear the codes. So would it make sense to say that both codes block each other from being deleted by my reader?

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry I forgot to mention also that my truck was doing regen every 3 weeks so I was confused as to why that happened but it would make sense that egr valve was so sooted up that the regen couldnt burn it all away per regen.

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
I apologize in advance for my ignorant questions. I'm just trying to understand how the codes work.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
a regen every 3 weeks is normal if you're gde tuned. If you're stock, regens happen probably every 2-3 days without your knowledge. The only way you know it's in regen is if you have an obdii reader. Regen's start at 66% soot levels on a stock tune, and 80% on a gde tune.

I don't understand your previous question. Are you having trouble clearing the code? what was the code?

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
Yes, I cannot fully clear the code without it coming back after I start the engine. My 2 codes are P2463 and U1424. I have a stage 1 tune from MRTuning here in Canada. Very similar to GDE.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, I cannot fully clear the code without it coming back after I start the engine. My 2 codes are P2463 and U1424. I have a stage 1 tune from MRTuning here in Canada. Very similar to GDE.
If I remember correctly from May of this year that code requires a Dealer Stationary Regeneration, the code is for Diesel Particulate Filter 100% full, you should have received that message on your EVIC along with your "Service Electronic Throttle Control". Sorry. My shop scanner could not turn off that code either. On a positive note the Gale Banks Derringer, EPA/CARB appr., has a Stationary Regen on demand function even with the code present.

ED2015

Oct 21, 2019
Truck Year
Ahhhh, I understand better but will counter that with this!, my stage 1 tune deactivated the DEF along with the EGR recirculation. Yesterday I went to a garage that was able to do a stationary regeneration and was successful BUT!!!! The computer will not accept the erase the codes for regen and U1424 due the fact the DEF was deactivated. That was the message returned to the mechanic via his professional OBD scanner. So now I have a choice of doing a full delete or find a professional with a scanner that can re activate my DEF. My stage 1 was done at a tune shop 3 hrs from where I live. Since I have those codes, my car restricts torque/turbo power so forget driving 3 hrs to the shop. I'm stuck as to who can reactivate my DEF.

Robert K

Oct 31, 2019
Truck Year
This Exact thing happened to me. Melted my intake manifold $(2000) Not to mention all of the other nightmares after that.

Finally got a full Package done on it and replaced everything and properly setup. Now its incredible. But I remember this exact thing

Fbagg

Dec 21, 2019
Truck Year
Hi, New to forum, Having my first issue with 2018 @ 51500 miles, stock ECU, from the republic of California so tunes to delete not an option especially since it’s a company truck. Today in a parking lot driving slow Service Electronic Throttle Control came on, can no longer “punch” throttle but can ease into it. Should I try this EGR / MAP cleaning discussed in this post before I take somewhere? I do not have a scanner to clear code and am not looking forward to leaving my truck at a dealership before Christmas and New Years, any other suggestions?