• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Feedback Welcome

Raetoney

Dec 2, 2022
Truck Year
Hello. My name is Brian Toney and I am new to this Forum. I thought I would share this experience with the group regarding my 2017 Ecodiesel with 58,000 miles on it.

I bought it earlier this year and it had 47,000 miles on it. Since I bought it, I have kept it maintained per factory recommendations. In mid October, I had my second oil change performed at the dealer along with a fuel filter change at my request. I was told that there were 3 active recalls on due on the truck- Software update, HPFP replacement and EGR valve replacement. The software update and fuel pump was replaced on this trip but they could not tell me when an EGR valve could be received. Since they only have one diesel mechanic, I could not schedule my truck to come back to be serviced so that they could order the cooler, so I said that I would bring it back in the next 2 weeks for the EGR cooler replacement. BIG MISTAKE.

One week later, it put me on the side of the road with the engine light coming on and a burning smell. I had it towed back to dealer. The EGR cooler had cracked and caused a chain reaction of other issues. It would make sense to me (especially since I have tried to maintain it as well as I did) that all of the ancillary issues that occurred as a result of this failure would be covered under the recall as Chrysler has said that they would cover any damages associated with the failure. While the mechanic acknowledged the recalled part failure, he would not say that the other issues came from the failure, which means that the damages would not be covered in the repair. The throttle body went out in addition to the wiring harness. They charged me $640 for an injection cleanout that was needed. I asked since the EGR cooler cracked and coolant got into the injection system, would the system cleanout not be included in the recall since it was evidently due to the coolant contamination? No. I also asked how can all of these simultaneous failures on my truck happen within a 20 second window and not be related to the recalled part failure. No good answer was given.

I had bought an extended warranty on the truck and they said that the Throttle Body replacement would be covered by the warranty company (a 2 hour job) but the wiring harness replacement would not be covered and that is a 10 hour job ($1600). At this point, I asked how in the hell does a wiring harness break? It was obviously not broken last week when I had it in here and I did not hit anything. “Well, it broke when I disconnected it from the throttle body” the mechanic told me- in front of the service advisor no less. “Then why am I paying $1600 for something that you broke taking it off to replace something else that was broken?” was my question. The mechanic then said “Well, I had to take it off to remove the throttle body, and in the process, it broke. This truck has 58,000 miles on it and that harness was worn out”. Really????? You just said that you broke it, which means that it was intact before you removed it. After arguing this point to the Service Manager, I did get them to cover that repair- although my bill states that it was a “warranty” repair. Total bill 5 weeks later due to throttle body backorder- $817.

Am I being unreasonable to think that this entire process should have been a covered repair under the recall?

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I don't think the "injector cleanout" issue was caused by the EGR COOLER FAILING, Probably an UPSELL on an unneeded service. FIND A NEW DEALER. As far as the brolen harness clip, there's probably a simple fix available, like a $1.00 ziptie. Also, to the best of my knowledge there is no fix for the HPFP as yet. I just checked the MOPAR RECALLS page for my truck(2017 ECODIESEL) and learned that parts are not available, educate yourself, open a complaint and most importantly RAISE HELL! If they changed the HPFP they put the old design back on it, so all they were doing was collecting money while screwing you if they billed as warranty.

Last edited:

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
This is the recall info:
Incomplete

Recall Date

June 09, 2022

FCA Recall #

Z46

NHTSA Recall #

22V-406

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

Some 2014-2020 MY Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.0L diesel engine may have been built with a high pressure fuel pump ("HPFP") that could fail prematurely. A HPFP failure may introduce internally failed component debris into the fuel system potentially causing fuel starvation. Fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of motive power, which can cause a vehicle to crash without prior warning.

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the HPFP, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components.

Recall Status

Incomplete but repair parts are not available
Get Notified When Parts are Available

Raetoney

Dec 2, 2022
Truck Year
I don't think the "injector cleanout" issue was caused by the EGR COOLER FAILING, Probably an UPSELL on an unneeded service. FIND A NEW DEALER. As far as the brolen harness clip, there's probably a simple fix available, like a $1.00 ziptie. Also, to the best of my knowledge there is no fix for the HPFP as yet. I just checked the MOPAR RECALLS page for my truck(2017 ECODIESEL) and learned that parts are not available, educate yourself, open a complaint and most importantly RAISE HELL! If they changed the HPFP they put the old design back on it, so all they were doing was collecting money while screwing you if they billed as warranty.
Thanks for the advice!

A standup guy

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
Yeah, sounds like a shoddy mechanic. I'd take you truck somewhere else. They do not have a replacement for the high pressure pump yet. Run some diesel additive to help lubricate the pump until they have a replacement.

Gregggarcia16

May 13, 2022
Truck Year
I’m going thru exactly the same thing I’ve been trying to get the recalled cooler replaced and the ram dealership literally refused and showed me the door . So I called FCA ,NHTSA, The Gm and also the owner of the dealership So they had me in on that Monday. The guy says there’s nothing wrong with your cooler it’s you’re 3 way hvac bypass that’s causing you’re burning coolant smell and it will be 1,000 to fix that 2 hrs at 120 hr for the regen and 185 for the diagnostic I told him order it he cooler don’t touch the 3 way so I ordered one and put it on right there in my he parking lot . They said bring it back when we get the cooler. I said ok and on the way home boom lost all power and burst into flames . I had a fire extinguisher and put it out right away but have documented every part of this including the refuse to provide a mandatory Saftey recall 4 times every time in which I logged a formal complaint with the NHTSA and FCA. This is bs I see now it’s not only me.
Don’t take no for an answer document everything and take it on up the chain of command and stuff it right back down their throats. There the ones who went to production year after year with know faulty shit.