• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

For the guys with the HD Diesel Supply Hand Held Device Tune

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
Any of you guys with the HD Diesel Supply hand held device tune take your truck in to a dealer yet? I know HD Diesel say you can tune it back to stock, take the truck to a dealer, then tune it back after the dealer, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet, and I'm not ready to be the first guinea pig! My truck needs the EGR recall update and the dealers around here won't even take your truck without plugging it in...I've asked.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have the SFT handheld tuner and I believe HD Diesel is using the same device. I recently had the AEM emissions update and prior to going to the dealer I used the handheld to return to the stock tune in my ECU and TCU. After the dealer's emissions flash I reinstalled my SFT tunes - easy peasy.

My great Service Manager knows I have the tunes, in fact when I got to the dealer he asked if I had returned to stock as he didn't want to overwrite my tunes.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Any of you guys with the HD Diesel Supply hand held device tune take your truck in to a dealer yet? I know HD Diesel say you can tune it back to stock, take the truck to a dealer, then tune it back after the dealer, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet, and I'm not ready to be the first guinea pig! My truck needs the EGR recall update and the dealers around here won't even take your truck without plugging it in...I've asked.
Many people have done it, you are no guinea pig. You can tune with confidence

WayneB

May 3, 2020
Truck Year
The dealer has to plug it in in some cases, this is part of what is required of them to get paid for working on your truck. They have to save a snapshot of vehicle configuration (a snapshot of every vehicle module part number on your truck, including software levels) a before and after are required for the EGR/AEM recall...not having this when they submit for payment not only will stop them for getting paid but will result in a hefty fine.
So yea, some things require that they do this.

Most repairs don't require this and most dealers couldn't care less about a tune... some of us are running them as well.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
Many people have done it, you are no guinea pig. You can tune with confidence
Many??? Which many??? The HD Diesel supply tune with the handheld device has only been on the market for 8 weeks (I was one of the very first to purchase)...point me to someone that's done it.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Many??? Which many??? The HD Diesel supply tune with the handheld device has only been on the market for 8 weeks (I was one of the very first to purchase)...point me to someone that's done it.
Sorry I was assuming it was the same process as the SFT tune which comes with a handheld device. Maybe the HD could be substantially different? I have taken my tunes out a couple times, it is pretty easy but the I don have the HD.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry I was assuming it was the same process as the SFT tune which comes with a handheld device. Maybe the HD could be substantially different? I have taken my tunes out a couple times, it is pretty easy but the I don have the HD.
It could be the same, I just don't know. I've taken mine back to "stock" too, just to see how it works. It is easy too, but I was told by HD Diesel that "stock" isn't really "stock", but some resemblance of a stock tune. I'm just worried that if the dealer reflashes and it doesn't match, the tuner might not recognize the tune.

Jerrycans

Jul 12, 2020
Truck Year
Don’t know about 8 weeks , but I have it