• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Quality Control Solenoid

Ed11566

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
I have owned a 2014 1500 with 82k miles since new. Had intermittent CEL for low fuel rail pressure. Brought to dealer last summer when it wouldn’t pass inspection and it stayed there for 28 days while they installed new catalytic converter , turbo gaskets, injector cleaning and new software which require me to do a 2 hour controlled speed test drive to break it in.

Code disappeared up until two weeks ago but only came on when accelerating hard and truck downshifted and rpms went above 4000. Other then that it ran fine and smooth.

Always changed fuel filters myself every 15k mikes with mopar filters and have all the records.

Took it back to the dealer and after replacing the fuel lift pump they had the same issue I had. Few days went by without any contact from them and I took a ride to see them. I was informed that when they pulled my fuel quality solenoid they said it was dirty and The fuel was contaminated. They then said it would be $11-$15k to replace the fuel system and I should contact my insurance company. Asked if they had it tested The fuel and they said they hadn’t. I then asked if vehicle was drivable and if I could take for a second opinion and they agreed.

It ran about 300 yards before it stalled and I got a electronic throttle control failure error message on my dash . Had it towed home and I took a fuel sample which sent it out for analysis.

I tried taking it to another dealer and they refused to look at it.

Had it towed back to the original dealer and they are currently looking at it again.

Could they have damaged the solenoid or introduced dirt into the injection pump when they removed the solenoid? Timing seems very suspicious and I never had any issues with the engine ever shutting Down and it ran very smooth. I love the truck but this has been a very umpleasant experience. I have the Extended Warranty and they are saying this isn’t covered.

Diesel source (Mobil) is same as that I use in lobster boat which has no issues .

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

ps why FCA uses such a small single stage fuel filtration system on a engine that is so sensitive to dirty fuel still has me shaking my head. The marine industry figured out decades ago that two stage filtration is a must for marine diesels.

Last edited:

Ed11566

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
I picked up a car quest test kit to sample the fuel while I await the official results later this week. Fuel tested clean for water , sludge, oxidation. and contaminants. See picture. Note the bottom of swab is blue out of the box. I took this sample by removing filter housing and placing key in run to activate fuel pump. Sample went right into a sterile medical container and sealed. I took two samples and sent one to HO Penn for analysis and kept the other.

Attachments

• B31F3E26-A318-4AF9-959D-B468CE16989B.jpeg
    B31F3E26-A318-4AF9-959D-B468CE16989B.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 7

Ed11566

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
First, sorry if Im posting information that may have already been shared here, Im new and with a large young family, I don't have the time to research all the previous posts.

Update 1: Dealer called me back today and is still claiming contaminated fuel. Asked if he tested it and he said it was a visual. Told him I tested it for water and the test came back negative and he quickly changed his tune about the previous water in the fuel claim and said it was "cloudy". Didn't tell him I sent it to a lab since results are not due back until Friday. Told me the Bosh CP4 High pressure injection pump is destroyed and is the result of contaminated fuel due to it not getting proper lubrication which resulted in the pump surfaces wearing down and introducing metal shavings into the fuel system which will require a full rebuild of the system. When I inquired why it suddenly went after I brought it in, he said it just a "coincidence". Said it will be $12K to repair.

Did a little research on the Bosh CP4 and low and behold look what I found: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/bosch-cp4-fuel-pump-failures-lawsuit.shtml

Seems like I'm caught in the middle of a big legal battle and I'm dealing with the law firm who are handling the Ecodiesel settlement to see if I can get a buyback since the truck has been in the shop at least 6 times for the same emissions issues. Will be Interesting to see what they can do for me.

Just posting this as a warning for those who may not know about this. Seems like the fuel system may need extra lubrication to keep it from dying a sudden and expensive death. Wish I had known. Very disappointed with FCA especially after spending so much money on this truck...…..

Last edited:

bootha

May 31, 2020
Truck Year
I am going through the exact same thing now. Dealership has had my truck for about a month and I’m arguing with FCA. It’s a nightmare.