• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel rail pressure sensor change

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Hey all, just wondering if there are any special tools required to change the fuel rail pressure sensor on the passenger side?
I talked to a mechanic and he said that the injector lines had to be removed and weren't reusable... And he mentioned that there were specialty tools required...
Wondering what the difficulty level actually is?
Thanks in advance!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No on the tools, Rail pressure sensor failure is equal to Hurricane in MN, The only way for the RPS to fail is voltage spike or you physically hit it, , water. Water is the more frequent reasons why they fail, its bury under foam if the foam is still installed water on any ED is unlikely.

The lines can be re-used, you are getting your info from idiots, masquerading as mechanic's.

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
No on the tools, Rail pressure sensor failure is equal to Hurricane in MN, The only way for the RPS to fail is voltage spike or you physically hit it, , water. Water is the more frequent reasons why they fail, its bury under foam if the foam is still installed water on any ED is unlikely.

The lines can be re-used, you are getting your info from idiots, masquerading as mechanic's.
Thanks TC!
I took the cover and foam off. I put dielectric grease on the connections and still get the code for fuel rail pressure sensor A...
Dodge wanted $1100 to change the RPS or $452 for just the part. I got the part for $230 through a friend and am hoping that will fix the reoccurring code...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That sensor $105.00, It will NOT stop the code, its more likely the electronic pressure relief, (Front driver side rail) Good move ,keep that darn foam off.

The sensor is either on or off, what exact code are you getting.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its very common and generally unrelated to the sensor. That code is generally related to leaky PRVs or high return rate of the injectors Dirty FCA or voltage issues to electronic PRV,FCA.

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Suggestions on fixing it? Sounds like I may have to take it to a dodge mechanic...

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Update: I installed a Pedal Commander and after about 30km travel, the CEL went off by itself and hasn't came back on yet. I have driven about 400km since and cleared the stored code with my scanner and no CEL. Driving in town made the CEL come on the quickest previously and I am happy to say that so far it is staying off!
Happy I am!

Garyinskeep1

Dec 17, 2020
Truck Year

Hi my name is Gary i have 2014 ecodiesel it is in shop right now they claim they had to purchase special tool in order to change fuel rail pressure sensor They just told me that mine was shot and its going to be 800 dollars not covered which is now not the fix they say they have to change the fuel pump now I feel like they are throwing parts at it they say the have to start with the sensor feel like I'm getting screwed

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Hey Gary, sorry to hear of your troubles.
I believe everything that TC said about mine. I believe it was the pressure relief and not the pressure sensor, but I did change the pressure sensor because I already purchased it...
The mechanic had to cut off his wrench, I think it was 1 1/8", so it would fit under the firewall and he tapped it with a hammer to loosen the pressure sensor...
The pressure relief was tricky to change as well, he removed the fuel lines for better access, and needed a narrow wrench to get on the nut of the pressure relief.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Like Shortyo Stated NO Special Wrench just a Narrow one. All You need is to grind one down, Gary it looks to Me you are getting Screwed. $800.00 that Part from us 350.00 to 450.00 Modded/OEM, their going to mess around until more things start to leak, The incompetency of most Dealership is shocking couple that with the Facade they put on traps just about anyone that not educated to beware.