• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Greetings from a new Pasta-diesel owner

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
Hello everyone, and I'm glad to have found a pretty specific group and not just the general Ram forums.

I've recently acquired my 2016 Lone Star - it has 107k on it, 1k of it came from me in the last 7 weeks or so. If my username or avatar seems familiar to anyone here, I used to be fairly active in Full-Sized Jeep forums, Thunderbird forums, and use the same name/avatar for the Youtube channel as well. My background is a little bit everywhere, it's usually auto or electronics related but my formal education is Psychology related (odd, I know).

I've got a real interesting first "quirk" for a post I'll try to put up in a day or two when lighting permits for good pictures - let's just say I'm puzzled why a truck that's only 6 years old has an electrical wiring bypass on the fuse box already... more to come on that.

Plans for this rig are pretty plain, I'm already running 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers but another couple inches upward wouldn't hurt. I've got the air-ride system so it looks like 4" is about the best I'm going to get which should satisfy what I aim to do. About 20 years ago I was into 6BT swapping Jeep J-trucks and M-715's but the Pasta-diesel is definitely a different animal. I feel like I'm getting some pretty sad mpg at only 15 in town, and after reading about the possibility of twisting the cam gear away if you're too heavy-footed, I kinda drive this truck pretty pokey while I learn to trust the hardware. I'm pretty sure I've got 3.55's despite the dealer listing 3.21's which doesn't add up for a 4x4. The transmission seems a little dimwitted compared to the 8-speed in my 300S too. I tend to have to let off the throttle for a second to get it to shift from 6 to 7, and again from 7 to 8.

As I live in a diesel emissions exempt state and county, I'm pretty annoyed with the multitude of emissions hardware force-fed on it (there's literally a California emissions compliance sticker under the hood that's hand signed by somebody... this is a Lone Star ... it was never meant to comply with anything but me here in Texas). After poking around here as a lurker for a couple weeks, it appears that what I want to do it something similar to the SFT tuner to simply turn off the EGR. Engine preservation is my ultimate goal here, so the sooner I can stop cramming soot down the intake, and possibly compromising the oiling system and bearings, the better. It appears there've been some changes to the tuner, or recall work or something to that effect, and in all honesty, I had this idea of possibly converting the DEF tank to be an 8-gallon emergency reserve and simply plumb it to pump into the fuel filler neck via an electric switch. Keeping the DEF gauge functional would be an added bonus just to show me how much I'd have in there.

Anyway, if you made it this far, I commend you - I used to hate writing growing up, but the only way I overcame it was to just "get this shit over with" and get better at it - so now I bore people to death with miniature novels like this. I'll try to keep specific issues to specific threads but as this was an intro, I thought I'd just shotgun the basic observations I've had with 7 weeks of ownership of mine so far.