• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How does one start applying for a buy back on a 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel?

jayjeromesmith

Nov 28, 2021
Truck Year
Last year I bought this vehicle and the broker said it had no open recalls. It did and had the check engine light come on the first week. I took it to the dealer. They had just passed it on to the broker that sold it to me. They kept it for more than two months. When the dealer said it was ready to pick up it still had check engine light. I then returned it twice without it being done correctly with check engine coming right back again. The second time they did not want me to bring it in saying they were too busy. That same day I returned it. This year this month I brought it in again and they said it was out of warrantee and paid out $3,000 plus or they would not order parts. Now they agree that it still had the warantee and that they should refund that cost but has not posted in my account. So with all the problems I wish to know how to proceed exactly after it sits for 30 days there. I expect 2 to 3 months before they say it is done. There was a coolant leak in the turbo this time. I bought another truck so I can get around. They said I qualify for a loaner vehicle but they do not have any. Thanks for any advice on how to proceed. Jay Smith

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hire a good lawyer

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Last year I bought this vehicle and the broker said it had no open recalls. It did and had the check engine light come on the first week. I took it to the dealer. They had just passed it on to the broker that sold it to me. They kept it for more than two months. When the dealer said it was ready to pick up it still had check engine light. I then returned it twice without it being done correctly with check engine coming right back again. The second time they did not want me to bring it in saying they were too busy. That same day I returned it. This year this month I brought it in again and they said it was out of warrantee and paid out $3,000 plus or they would not order parts. Now they agree that it still had the warantee and that they should refund that cost but has not posted in my account. So with all the problems I wish to know how to proceed exactly after it sits for 30 days there. I expect 2 to 3 months before they say it is done. There was a coolant leak in the turbo this time. I bought another truck so I can get around. They said I qualify for a loaner vehicle but they do not have any. Thanks for any advice on how to proceed. Jay Smith
I agree with John, but I would add find a different dealer to perform your warranty work. If the diesel tech doesn't have a clue as to how to diagnose an eco then you will never be happy. By the way what is the CEL for, have they told you? Most of the issues I have had with my eco have been stupid programming from FCA. Service Electronic Throttle being the biggest headache, chasing down dirty connections, tensioned wiring harnesses, final cure GDE Tune, now with an EPA certified tune. Actual physical problems have been the poorly designed crank position sensor which fails, 2014 model, the AEM program which was again cured by GDE tune, and the failure of the "Heavy Duty EGR Replacement" which was installed under a recall, mine was not leaking, but the replacement is now leaking about 1/2 gl per 45 miles. Yes my truck is sitting at the dealer, tech is scheduled for Dec. 2, if he confirms the EGR failure I am looking at 4 weeks for a replacement EGR. My issue is with FCA not my dealer who happens to have an excellent diesel tech.
Good luck my friend.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
what is a "CEL"?
Check Engine Light, may also be known as MIL, Malfunction Indicator Light or SES, Service Engine Soon. The code is known as a DTC, Diagnostic Trouble Code, which will have a general description of an issue. That issue may be caused by a plethora of conditions and each must be investigated to find what is causing the DTC to light the CEL.
I like to refer to the Service Electronic Throttle Control message which sets a DTC and then sends the ECM, Engine Control Module, into Limp Home Mode which then causes a multitude of DTC's to set if you continue to drive, such as Low Turbo Boost, Low Injector Threshold Performance, Diesel Particulant Filter Full, Insufficient Transmission Function, etc. Of course all these DTC's are caused by the Limp Home Mode. If the tech is inexperienced they will immediately throw on a new turbo, then a set of injectors, a new DPF etc. when RAM's own diagnostic protocol is to clear the code and attempt to recreate the issue and diagnose the issue. That is why I say find a dealer that has an experienced tech.
Good luck.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
So how about you give everyone more information, tou are looking for help, how many miles, where are you, state?, Canada?, any mods done to the truck?, recalls and check engine light are not related, the dealer had it for 2 months/, WHY?, what did the dealer say when you contacted them, like you have my truck what is going on?, $3000 for parts?, what parts are they planning on installing?, your post has a lot of gray areas you want some help lay it all out and you may get some