• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to avoid soot buildup and other problems 2015 Laramie 1500 4x4

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
Hey!

Brand new diesel owner. Just purchased a 2015 Laramie 4x4 Eco. 83k and has a Banks Deringer installed. It didn't come with the iBanks gauge, but I just ordered that. The recall that retards the gas mileage (forgot what it's called, AME?) has already been applied, so I am getting 23-24 mpg on the freeway. I am not towing yet....need the mule before you get the cart. So in love with it right now and would prefer to stay that way!

I have read, read, read....maybe too much to the point that I'm not even sure what I read some moments! First and foremost, I plan on keeping this truck. I don't buy every few years. I actually enjoy not having a monthly payment. First time in over a decade. So.....how do I ensure that I keep this beauty running and not breaking my bank account because I didn't do something right?

Deleting it isn't an option for me at this time. I would prefer to do this without messing around much, as I am no mechanic! I have worked on vehicles for sure, but nothing major. I change fluids, replaced starters, alternators, fuel pumps, brakes, etc. Videos are my best friend!

I would love advice on how to keep this truck running great and maybe reclaim the lost mpg if possible. Any other tips/advice on what to keep an eye on would be very helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

~Joseph

Attachments

• 2015_ram_1500-pic-8029797467310402851-1024x768.jpeg
    2015_ram_1500-pic-8029797467310402851-1024x768.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 2

Jm35475

Dec 18, 2021
Truck Year
I'm in the same boat. Same truck 2016. The gde tune seems to be the favorite. I just got it. It gave it lots more low end pep. I took a 6 he road trip and back and I only got 24-25mpg running 65-75 interstate after adding the tune. Look up gde hot tune. It's govt compliant.it supposedly cleans up the soot problem

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
So, you mpg DID NOT increase after the tune? I thought it was supposed to add 2-4 mpg.

I am considering all my options at this point. I waited for this truck and don't want to part with it. I tend to keep what I buy and not trade in. I love no payments!! (just got to wait a few more years not to get there again!)

Jm35475

Dec 18, 2021
Truck Year
So, you mpg DID NOT increase after the tune? I thought it was supposed to add 2-4 mpg.

I am considering all my options at this point. I waited for this truck and don't want to part with it. I tend to keep what I buy and not trade in. I love no payments!! (just got to wait a few more years not to get there again!)

Jm35475

Dec 18, 2021
Truck Year
I went and checked and the digital trip meter actually reads 25.1.Running speeds mostly 70 to 75 I think I gained about one mile per gallon. I think running 55 to 65 off the interstate I was noticing considerably better mileage. I did see one YouTube video from another owner reviewing the hot tune, he said he picked up a few more miles to the gallon but it was on the other end driving around town. He also showed the oil in his dipstick and said that was the biggest improvement was the oil stayed clean after the tone whereas it used to stay jet black within a few hundred miles of a fresh oil change all the rest of the way through. The biggest improvement I noticed with the tune was the power through the low and mid-range. I thought the truck felt pretty weak prior to the tune. And I'm also trying to get an engine temperature issue solved. My truck struggles too stay at engine temperature. It will go from 200 down to 150 in a matter of a minute then the needle will float all around everywhere in between. I feel like that might be affecting my fuel mileage as well. Supposed to be getting it looked at Monday from the dealer I bought the truck from. Also when I crank my truck up in the mornings it will never get above 100°. Idling in the yard until I get out and hit the highway it will warm up to 200 and then after that it drops and just floats around where it wants to. I will say this I did notice a breaking point on the speed at around 72 miles an hour. As long as I had the cruise set on that I was gaining ground on MPG and it got as high as 26 at one point. We were driving through some mountains though pulling some hills so I think it kind of went downhill after that. But I noticed when I had the cruise control set at 7475 I was actually losing ground on MPG average on the computer screen

Last edited:

Jm35475

Dec 18, 2021
Truck Year
Also I think I might be running bigger tires than most? Mine are 275 60 20s which are the factory size according to the label in the door. They look bigger to me than some of the other comparable trucks I'm seeing. And I'm really not complaining I actually did get a little over 25 MPG running these what I consider big tires on this road trip. I just traded in a 2014 Ford f150 with a 5.0 engine running about the same size tire with a tune and it would only get around 16 MPG and some change on this same road trip and I've done it several times. So I can live with the gas mileage I just hope this thing stays together. I thought I did adequate research before buying the truck but now afterwards a lot of what I'm reading are horror stories from people with all kinds of it EcoDiesel problems.

joseph73cf

Dec 27, 2021
Truck Year
Also I think I might be running bigger tires than most? Mine are 275 60 20s which are the factory size according to the label in the door. They look bigger to me than some of the other comparable trucks I'm seeing. And I'm really not complaining I actually did get a little over 25 MPG running these what I consider big tires on this road trip. I just traded in a 2014 Ford f150 with a 5.0 engine running about the same size tire with a tune and it would only get around 16 MPG and some change on this same road trip and I've done it several times. So I can live with the gas mileage I just hope this thing stays together. I thought I did adequate research before buying the truck but now afterwards a lot of what I'm reading are horror stories from people with all kinds of it EcoDiesel problems.
I have the same tires as well.

Coming from your F150, the mpg increase is considerable and I would be pleased as well.

I had not considered the cleanliness of the oil. Something to keep in mind, for sure! I will also have to pay attention to my temp. I have not done that yet. No long trips with mine yet, everything under 30mi each way so far.

EcoDiesel USA

Jan 15, 2022
Truck Year
CFT oil catch can will help prevent oil from lining your intake manifold, this is the main culprit to having soot stick on the inside of the manifold itself.