• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

incompatible DEF message but not true

DKW

Feb 3, 2020
Truck Year
I have had an ecodiesel 4 years now it is a 2015 bought new. i have liked it thus far but 1 week ago my engine light came on and the dashboard noted I had "put an incompatible DEF into the truck". I HAD NOT even took the package to the garage to show them. They fussed with it a couple hours added more DEF, turned off the light and said it should be fine. I have NEVER even let the DEF drop below 1/4 on the gauge. so exactly 1 week later the engine light comes on again and the dash board flashed "you have 261 miles before the engine turns OFF because of a DEF problem!!" The service garage claimed they had never seen the first message let alone the second. It is HUGE dealership with loads of these trucks. Is that possible?? and what really IS going on? DKW

Jon Bornemann

Feb 1, 2020
Truck Year
I had this same problem last week. Message came up and said that the wrong DEF fluid was detected and my truck would be disabled in 200 miles if I didn't take it to the dealer. It was the same DEF I've been putting in for a year and a half. I called the dealer and made an appointment. As I was on the phone, the code went away. I wasn't taking the chance that my truck would be "disabled", so I took it to the dealer. They said it would be $90 just to hook it up to the diagnostics. I told them I wasn't going to pay it, and that I just wanted my truck to be able to run. They said they have to hook it up to find out what's wrong. I told them there's NOTHING wrong with my truck! Long story short, the diesel tech came out and reset the code. I asked him, could I have just done that with my code reader at home? "Oh yeah, sure" he said.

Lesson learned. I went home and did some research. That's when I found out I could get a Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune and delete all the emissions BS (DPF, DEF, EGR) they put on the truck and get better performance and fuel economy. I emailed GDE. GDE was shut down over three months ago by the EPA, but they did send this:

We are not able to reflash/install our tune at this time due to changes in EPA rules. Best to contact your state representative and ask them to reign in the EPA if you ever want the GDE tune. The EPA is using statute CAA 42 USC 7522 (a)(3) (A-B) to go after the after-market auto industry. We feel this rule should only cover large auto manufacturers, not older vehicles in the field.

There is an act in Congress called the RPM Act that is on the table. Please refer to below if you contact your representatives and ask them to move quickly on this bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/2602/text

So now I'm wondering, If I iinstall a straight pipe exhaust on my truck it'll bypass all the emissions crap. However, I'm sure it will trip codes. If I can reset the codes myself, I should be OK. I'll just have to stop every 200 miles and reset them. I'm old, so I stop to pee that often anyway. I might just he stubborn enough to do it.

John

Nov 13, 2015
There are other options for tunes in the USA and Canada. Running straight exhaust will not effectively delete the emissions.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I had this same problem last week. Message came up and said that the wrong DEF fluid was detected and my truck would be disabled in 200 miles if I didn't take it to the dealer. It was the same DEF I've been putting in for a year and a half. I called the dealer and made an appointment. As I was on the phone, the code went away. I wasn't taking the chance that my truck would be "disabled", so I took it to the dealer. They said it would be $90 just to hook it up to the diagnostics. I told them I wasn't going to pay it, and that I just wanted my truck to be able to run. They said they have to hook it up to find out what's wrong. I told them there's NOTHING wrong with my truck! Long story short, the diesel tech came out and reset the code. I asked him, could I have just done that with my code reader at home? "Oh yeah, sure" he said.

Lesson learned. I went home and did some research. That's when I found out I could get a Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune and delete all the emissions BS (DPF, DEF, EGR) they put on the truck and get better performance and fuel economy. I emailed GDE. GDE was shut down over three months ago by the EPA, but they did send this:

We are not able to reflash/install our tune at this time due to changes in EPA rules. Best to contact your state representative and ask them to reign in the EPA if you ever want the GDE tune. The EPA is using statute CAA 42 USC 7522 (a)(3) (A-B) to go after the after-market auto industry. We feel this rule should only cover large auto manufacturers, not older vehicles in the field.

There is an act in Congress called the RPM Act that is on the table. Please refer to below if you contact your representatives and ask them to move quickly on this bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/2602/text

So now I'm wondering, If I iinstall a straight pipe exhaust on my truck it'll bypass all the emissions crap. However, I'm sure it will trip codes. If I can reset the codes myself, I should be OK. I'll just have to stop every 200 miles and reset them. I'm old, so I stop to pee that often anyway. I might just he stubborn enough to do it.
Hey I'm old too, just installing a straight pipe and uninstalling the multiple sensors involved would not entail a stop every 200 miles to reset. I am sorry but several of the codes that would be tripped would place you in "Limp Home Mode" that would not be reset except by dealer.

Your best bet. Sofa Tune Kings or wait until GDE gets approval for their tune.

DKW

Feb 3, 2020
Truck Year
Well, t hey just reset mine and in 2 weeks I got the same message again. They finally used a "spectroscope" on the truck and found the emission part that was honeycombed for "filtering" was eaten (burned) out and totally discolored. They had a list of items they had ordered to replace the system. I asked if I was going to be able to afford it and they said it was free. I just have to bring them the truck when the parts come in and wait 3 days for them to fix it. I had told them a couple years ago that when I got home on 3 different occasions the back end of that truck was so HOT I could not put my hand on the back fender. I was TOTALLY ignored at that time.( it quit doing it by itself) I am in the South and women's opinions here seem totally unimportant to most of the men here. They have new staff and FINALLY someone seems to listen. I am praying that my truck actually works normally again. I am tired of waiting for a space twice the size I should have to to pull out because of the hesitation and I am tired of the mileage for gas being so dismal compared to when I got it. Those EPA people seem to have NO idea that when you burn more fuel the emissions do NOT decrease for the total miles driven as you are putting out MORE total emissions because of the mileage loss?????????????????

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
We have received notification of a new program for the AEM which is to address the turbo lag. Or you can investigate the Gayle Banks Power Products Derringer, the Sofa Tune King program, or wait until Green Diesel Engineering comes out with their CARB/EPA approved program, to take care of turbo lag issues, hp and torque improvements and several other issues.

DKW

Feb 3, 2020
Truck Year
Finally got my truck back.
They replaced a dozen parts in the emissions control section and drove it 70 miles to be sure it was running OK. The good thing is that this truck finally feels almost as peppy as it did when it was new. Now to watch the fuel mileage and see how it does.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The DEF is a controlled product, 37.5% urea and 62.5% deionized water, or maybe distilled water, I don't remember, it shouldn't matter what brand you buy, but personally I have decided not to buy bulk after having problems in my Duramax, I got a Poor quality DEF message, and it smelled like ammonia! I found a very informative video about the DEF somewhere, probably on youtube.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
OOPS, I just noticed a mixup in my numers, DEF is 32.5% UREA and 67.5% deionized water. I purchased a refractometer for about 25 bucks on Amazon to keep a check on it after my go-round with the chevy.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I ran distilled water in My Eco at levels 10% DEF and 90% DW, Their is No urea sensor in the tank until 2017, The NOx senor will not trigger codes, even at that level 2014-16. DW is way better for the entire DEF system than DI.

In fact I have been running DW in My DEF Trucks for Years error free. 2013-16

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Mine is a 17, just did a SFT stage 1 tune, I'd love to do the DW but not sure about the sensor and don't want to get in a position of needeing to drain the tank, my back just won't allow it, so IDK.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If it has the sensor, it will not be triggered until below 22%, So for every 2.5 Gallons DEF, 1 Gallon DW puts you at 24% code and injector problem free.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I ran distilled water in My Eco at levels 10% DEF and 90% DW, Their is No urea sensor in the tank until 2017, The NOx senor will not trigger codes, even at that level 2014-16. DW is way better for the entire DEF system than DI.

In fact I have been running DW in My DEF Trucks for Years error free. 2013-16

Does this mix also work ok for winter use? DEF also freezes, but likely at a lower temp than this mix would? So would the tank heater be sufficient to get it thawed out in the real cold weather?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes... I have left vehicles sit outside for Days at -0 temps. DEF freeze at 18/12F, so what the difference if it freezes at 22/20F.

Many owners have been practicing this for Years. It does surprise me to see how easily People are fooled today in believing things....against their own interest..This rule works for Me I believe in God, everything else I test or track......