• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Jet A fuel in a EcoDiesel

chhaight

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
hello all. Quick Question: 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoDiesel

Ever run Jet A in your ecodiesel? What additives are needed if doing so. Just curious.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Complex answer to Quick Question. I could not give a succinct answer to additives needed to bring JetA to Diesel #2, however, they are both mixtures of crude oil refinement.

Jet A is closely related to Kerosene differentiated by purity and additives, normally a long chain molecule ranging from C9Hn to C16Hn managed by additives on Hydrogen leg such as napthalene or other Aromatic Hydrocarbons.

Diesel #2 a mixture of chemicals including Diesel #1, also basically a straight chain molecule from C12H20 to C15H28 the additional Hydrogen legs captured by other branches. May also contain kerosene for winter blend if #1 Diesel is insufficient in bringing flow viscosity in line with needs, roughly 75% Saturated Hydrocarbon & 25% Aromatic Hydrocarbon. For the other organic chemists on the forum the normal Carbon/Hydrogen correlation is Cx2 plus 2 = H, with these mixtures the extra legs are captured by other chemical chains.

So to straight up say what additives would be needed to run Jet A in a modern diesel with catalytic converter and DPF would be very dependent on what base fuel composition is started with, as well as subsequent fills. Back in the day the military would switch between Jet A (or JP 4 thru JP8) and Diesel fuel in their vehicles as needed. I am sure it can be done but will not be responsible for incorrect mixture caused failures.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Well the next question would be why? Jet A runs about $1.00 a gl. more than #2 Diesel.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
Several of the older VM engines ran on Jet A for some past military projects. It did require some re-calibration for the heat release during combustion. The lubricity of Jet A is very poor and the fuel system life is compromised a bit. Engine longevity is not a primary concern in battle, most engines are replaced long before 7000 hours of operation.

Dmax

Jan 29, 2020
Truck Year
I’m a helicopter mechanic so I have access to lots of Jet A waste fuel which costs me nothing and saves my company money.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would like to know how its consider waste, Storage, handling Etc.

fuel_Probe_Rusted.jpg

Dmax

Jan 29, 2020
Truck Year
Have take fuel samples daily from aircraft and fuel trailer. About a gallon a day and it’s stored in a 55 gallon barrel.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dmax, be careful if stored in Steel Drum for long periods of Time. My guess its either the recycled tote or use like you are.

I would follow GDE recommendation on the Lube if it starts to get 50/50 for long periods of time Yearly, that may play in on early replacement of HPCR components.

Dmax

Jan 29, 2020
Truck Year
Plastic barrel. Depending on each company’s SOP you can put fuel right back in aircraft or trailer but with mine it’s now considered uncontrolled fuel so they consider it waste fuel. We’ve been running this stuff in diesels for years mixing 50/50.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I will echo the poor lubricity of Jet A. In the day there was not a real issue as the diesel of the time had sufficient sulfur content to allow for occasional low lubricity levels (15,000 ppm). Todays ultra low sulfur (15ppm or less) does not tolerate low lubricity levels for very long. Example to increase longevity of the HPFP we run OptiLube additive to increase lubricity of the fuel. We also try to locate bio and mix tanks. The additional aromatic and saturated hydrocarbons that I mentioned, earlier post, attached to the base fuel provide the lubricity that is lost from low sulfur content.
Now correct me if I am wrong but it has been my experience that cleanliness is next to godliness in Jet A, so what would be contamination in Jet A may be common place in Diesel #2.

Dmax

Jan 29, 2020
Truck Year
You are correct Jet A extremely clean fuel. Our biggest concern is usually water. Just changed the filter on fuel trailer today and had very little sediment in bowl and filter was still basically white. I will keep that in mind and appreciate the guidance.

Older Slower Wiser

Dec 10, 2016
Truck Year
Don’t use it. Jet A is less lubrised than today’s diesel fuel. You might like it in the short term but in the long term your fuel system will wear out prematurely.