• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just bought a 2016 EcoDiesel

reeltex

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
Hey guys (and possibly some gals?)... been reading and great info on here. Picking up my 2016 Ram 1500 4WD Longhorn with the 3.0L today.

I had a 2006 Dodge/Ram 1500 half ton and went to a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0L, so I have experience with a controversial diesel engine. I bought the Excursion in 2007 with 50K miles and now at 205,00 miles and 13 years later I can say it has been a good truck (ok SUV but I think its closer to a truck). A big reason the truck was so good was because of information I got from forums like this and made the right mods. I only had the Ram 1500 about 6 months and really liked the truck except when towing. It struggled pulling my boat at 55-60 mph and because it was not a 4x4 and had a long bed I always had problems pulling the boat out of the water (my mistake for not buying the right truck for the job). One time I had to let a Ford F-250 hook up to my trailer and pull the boat out of the water... 2 weeks later I bought the Excursion. My current boat weighs 4200 lbs and with trailer, motors, fuel, ice, and loaded up my guess is it is between 8-9K lbs. Everything I have read says this EcoDiesel with 4x4 can do it all day.

The warranty is 5-yr/100K and it currently has 60K miles and almost 2 years left on the warranty. I also have an Accord that I commute to work in (except in bad weather) so I can easily keep mileage down on the truck. I am eager to do the EGR delete, re-program the emission recall, DEF delete, and maybe some other stuff but thinking it is better to wait until warranty is up (not looking to max out performance, just make the truck run better and last longer). The other thing is this Dodge Dealership has a lifetime drive-train warranty so I am on the fence if it is worth it to do any mods at all. (Q1) - What are your thoughts?

I went to Mopar sight as suggested in another thread and this came up:
Completed: U74, U53, U07, V08 Incomplete: VB1
(Q2) - I am guessing the V08 is the down-tune everyone is complaining about? (Q3) - I am guessing previous owner collected the check but thinking its worth it to check, what is the easiest way to find out?
(Q4) - On the VB1 I am guessing I want to do the EGR cooler replacement when parts are available?

(Q5) - Any other advice to help ensure the truck has a long life?... would be greatly appreciated. THANKS in advance!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Dodge Dealer would have been required to Install V08, You also Have the AEM warranty 10/120.

The VB1 a real mess rumor has it no fix, the EPA are Fanatic's about EGR's on Dsl, Cummins had delay on top of Delays for GEN V NONE external EGR's.

On Edit, don't grocery get with it, DD use has been problematic.

reeltex

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
Dealer kept it another day. They wouldn't tell me exactly why, just that they had to do certain checks in order to give the lifetime warranty. They had just taken it in when I bought it.

Thanks for heads' up on AEM warranty. I am leaning towards no mods even after 100K miles because of the 2 extended warranties (AEM and Dealer).

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Read your Dealer Warranty (lifetime) carefully. Some of these dealer Warranties only cover lubricated Parts ONLY and exclude suspension parts and hub Assemblies. Make sure you Register and post all maintenance records at www.mopar.com

reeltex

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
Got the truck and had a great ride home.

The Carfax says 5-yr/60K drive-train
registered on MOPAR and it says 5-yr/100K

Which one is it? (2016 Ecodiesel)