• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just got my first Eco Diesel! advice anyone?

Blksheep

Apr 29, 2020
Truck Year
First off I am SO happy to find this group!!

So here's the story, I knew I wanted a Limited, i am a long time Ram lover!
I use multiple websites to search but I just happened to try Carfax Used Cars and a 2016 Longhorn diesel popped up, they didn't have 'Limited' in the title but I recognized it right away. Once I saw the pics and pulled the Carfax and saw the window sticker I knew I had to have it.
1 owner, no wrecks, very few service records which is scary as hell.
The dealership had originally listed it for $30k, by the time I saw it they had lowered it too $24.9k.
Maybe it wasn't selling due to the Covid, maybe they didn't take into account it was a Limited... still don't know why this truck was marked down that low but I called them and three days later it is sitting in my driveway.
The truck has 86k miles and looks brand new. Not a scratch on it, except for the driver floor mat.

There are three recalls that need to be done:
1. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
2. 2013-16 DS & 2014-16 DX 8-SPEED ROTARY SHIFTER
3. 2014-2016 3.0L DS WK 3.0L DIESEL PERFORMANCE

The only thing that has happened that has caused me some worry is I was towing my trailer with a motorcycle on it and when we got to our destination about 20 minutes away and got out we could smell some burning like brake pads, which didn't make much sense. Hasn't happened any other times, just with the trailer attached.

So my question to you guys is what would you do to make sure this truck has no major issues?
Do you change the oil more frequently and what oil do you use?
I have a year left on the Powertrain, should I buy an extended warranty and who do you recommend?
Any other advice you can give me would be appreciated, I want this truck to last a long time.

I feel like I fell into a great deal but I don't want it to turn into a nightmare.

Thanks,
John

IMG_20200425_152757.jpgwondow.PNG

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group the 86000 scares me next time u drive it and smell brakes walk around the truck and feel each wheel if 1 is hotter than the others pull the tire take the caliper offand make sure the pads are free not rusted solid

turps73

Dec 12, 2019
Truck Year
great find. i love my limited! i have 157k on mine. no issues. i do 7500 miles on the oil changes. stock oil recommendation. jsut treat her well and she will treat you well

Ecohater69

Apr 29, 2020
Truck Year
First off I am SO happy to find this group!!

So here's the story, I knew I wanted a Limited, i am a long time Ram lover!
I use multiple websites to search but I just happened to try Carfax Used Cars and a 2016 Longhorn diesel popped up, they didn't have 'Limited' in the title but I recognized it right away. Once I saw the pics and pulled the Carfax and saw the window sticker I knew I had to have it.
1 owner, no wrecks, very few service records which is scary as hell.
The dealership had originally listed it for $30k, by the time I saw it they had lowered it too $24.9k.
Maybe it wasn't selling due to the Covid, maybe they didn't take into account it was a Limited... still don't know why this truck was marked down that low but I called them and three days later it is sitting in my driveway.
The truck has 86k miles and looks brand new. Not a scratch on it, except for the driver floor mat.

There are three recalls that need to be done:
1. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
2. 2013-16 DS & 2014-16 DX 8-SPEED ROTARY SHIFTER
3. 2014-2016 3.0L DS WK 3.0L DIESEL PERFORMANCE

The only thing that has happened that has caused me some worry is I was towing my trailer with a motorcycle on it and when we got to our destination about 20 minutes away and got out we could smell some burning like brake pads, which didn't make much sense. Hasn't happened any other times, just with the trailer attached.

So my question to you guys is what would you do to make sure this truck has no major issues?
Do you change the oil more frequently and what oil do you use?
I have a year left on the Powertrain, should I buy an extended warranty and who do you recommend?
Any other advice you can give me would be appreciated, I want this truck to last a long time.

I feel like I fell into a great deal but I don't want it to turn into a nightmare.

Thanks,
John

View attachment 2894View attachment 2895
Get Rid Of It

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
^^^ funny how people are quick to offer negativity.
IMO Keep oil changed every 7-8k and find yourself a tune to upgrade to parts missing and you’ll enjoy your truck. I do! When I bought my 14 with 113k all my brakes were shot. Came from jersey. Go figure with all the salt!!