• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LTB '15 ED - You tell me?

jrdale84

May 22, 2019
Truck Year
Hi everyone,

Looking to buy a 2015 ED that is just under 100k. Maintenance records look solid, and given the hero/zero conditions reaching 100k seems like pretty decent evidence of not being a zero situation? Father in law loves his ED. What do you guys think?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Get an extended warranty to cover you if the engine goes. It is the only protection against a 10k repair bill.

Since it's a diesel do the normal blow-by test. Pull the oil fill and with the engine running see if any air is coming out of the hole. Light breez hardly enough to move a tissue is what you want.

Get a paint thickness gauge and take it around the car. People have wised up how to avoid getting reported to Carfax. A paint thickness gauge will show you the truth.

If you don't have a diagnostics box, run it by a parts store and pull the codes. See what they are.

People usually trade in a truck for a good reason. Your job is to find that reason and make sure you can handle it. Some people just trade in every 4-6 years because they want to though.

jrdale84

May 22, 2019
Truck Year
Get an extended warranty to cover you if the engine goes. It is the only protection against a 10k repair bill.

Since it's a diesel do the normal blow-by test. Pull the oil fill and with the engine running see if any air is coming out of the hole. Light breez hardly enough to move a tissue is what you want.

Get a paint thickness gauge and take it around the car. People have wised up how to avoid getting reported to Carfax. A paint thickness gauge will show you the truth.

If you don't have a diagnostics box, run it by a parts store and pull the codes. See what they are.

People usually trade in a truck for a good reason. Your job is to find that reason and make sure you can handle it. Some people just trade in every 4-6 years because they want to though.

Thanks for the reply - my theory is this was traded just because its about to expire the FCA 100k warranty. Was already going to shop the extended warranties anyhow. I have a BlueDriver ODB reader and I'll do the blow-by test for sure. I definitely want something that will have some longevity and like I said my father in law LOVES his 2015 ED.

Conversely I could grab up a 2015 V6 with only 36k for a little more money (about $2k) - and while some of my driving is city, I spend a good deal of time at highway speeds around where we live. Some of the reported issues here just have me thinking the Penstar might be the better investment? Just paid off a cursed car, wife is certainly on edge on picking up a new truck so soon so now I am just worried!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the reply - my theory is this was traded just because its about to expire the FCA 100k warranty. Was already going to shop the extended warranties anyhow. I have a BlueDriver ODB reader and I'll do the blow-by test for sure. I definitely want something that will have some longevity and like I said my father in law LOVES his 2015 ED.

Conversely I could grab up a 2015 V6 with only 36k for a little more money (about $2k) - and while some of my driving is city, I spend a good deal of time at highway speeds around where we live. Some of the reported issues here just have me thinking the Penstar might be the better investment? Just paid off a cursed car, wife is certainly on edge on picking up a new truck so soon so now I am just worried!

I like the Pentastar engine. It has plenty of horsepower for me and gets 24 mpg on the highway. Dealer here is selling new 2019 Ram Longhorn 4wd, quad cab that I like, etorque Pentastar with a sticker at 47k for 32.5k. I think I may make the jump myself - my eco HFE has vinyl with power nothing and this Longhorn is pretty lux.