• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Major engine problems

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
My 2014 Ram Larime Longhorn with 92K has been at the dealership for a month. Engine all of a sudden coughs, sputters, and backfires. Then goes into "limp" mode. They've replaced the fuel injector pressure module ($800) and now the Power Control Module. Haven't gotten a bill yet since the problem not fixed. Tech now is contacting Dodge Ram because he doesn't know what to do. Can anyone give me a clue about this problem? All recalls and maintenance done by dealerships. No modifications have been made to the truck. It's been over a month and no progress.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hmmmm, Never heard of Injector pressure module on any VM 3.0. Unless the hard part(s) of the PCM are the problem just flash the PCM, if the flash does not load the PCM corrupted, other than that most PCMs are extreme robust and its extreme rare for them to just fail.

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for the response. Clearly the PCM was not the problem as the problem still exists. Could a clogged regeneration filter be the source? I'm feeling that they're keep replacing parts until they find the real source of the problem . Meanwhile, I get the privilege of paying for a lot of new parts I don't need.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Spider its extremely rare to find any person capable of the work arounds on the 3.0VM, generally what your describing is electronics. Still no answer on Injector pressure module , or what the heck they replaced.

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
I don't have the report where I am so I can't look it up . Should I take my truck to a different dealership? I'm in Michigan , so if anyone has a recommendation I'm all ears.

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
The first part that was replaced was the " fuel rail sensor and connector" which didn't solve the problem. Next they replaced the CPM and the truck ran worse. It's now been over a month at the dealership and no progress. No one seems to have a fix. Now what?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Fuel Rail sensor Is $120.00 and 1 Hr Book Time.... I have them in stock.. $800.00 is crazy... the sensor is easily checked VIA WITECH.

Spider I suggest you move on .... its the curse of the VM3.0... (What's a CPM?)

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
surprised there are no codes- especially with it going into limp mode, but sputtering and surging sounds like an air/fuel problem to me. When you say "all of a sudden", do you mean it runs normally for a while and then acts up and goes into limp mode? Or did this issue come up "all of a sudden" and has not gone away since?

If I were working on it, i'd be checking the easy stuff first (air filter, intake tract, loose hose clamps, fuel filter/water separator, etc.), and then move to fuel supply (LP/HP). I have to imagine that if the shop is at all competent, they've ruled all those things out already. Burnt/stuck valves can also cause these types of symptoms, so a compression test is in order, but i haven't heard too many issues with valve failure unless it's related to carbon buildup.

I'm not as well versed in troubleshooting these engines as some here are, but I have rebuilt 3 of them now, and most of the problems I've run into had to do with air/fuel supply.

Spiderman112358

Oct 28, 2020
Truck Year
I agree. The Ram engineers are involved. When the problem occurs, it is generally before the engine comes to full temperature. But at the end it became intermittent whether warm or cold . The fuel system, I believe, is the source of the problem. But somehow no- one has any idea of the solution. Going on 8 weeks without solution. District service manager says "Give them more time . " BS!