• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MELTED INTAKE

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Bighorn with the 3.0 diesel. I purchased the truck new. The truck has been in the dealership garage 4 times for the soot problems. On labor day when driving down the road there was a puff of smoke out the tail pipe and the truck shut down and smoke came from under the hood. I had various messages on the screen including low oil pressure. The motor was hissing loudly on the top end. I had the solid lightening bolt idiot light come on the screen. I called Chrysler road side assistance and they advised I could drive the vehicle. I told them no, not after what I had seen and the fact that there was a low oil pressure light caused me concerns. They towed the truck into the dealership, They found that it was a hole had melted in the intake manifold. The truck was in the shop for 2 weeks and they had to replace the intake manifold. The truck has 55,000 miles on it and has been used to travel back and forth to work mostly and pull a small 3000 pound fishing boat on occasion. All the work was covered under the warranty.

First, I have heard problems with a hole getting melted through the intake manifold, what causes it?

Second, if it happened at 55,000 miles, and nothing was done to correct the problem, shouldn't I expect another hole through the manifold at about 110,000 miles when it's about out of warranty? I asked the mechanic this and he said, don't be surprised if it happens again.

Last point, anyone considering buying this 3.0 diesel better seriously reconsider. My truck since new has spent 45 days in the shop for various problems all related to the fact that it's a diesel engine. That amount of time is unacceptable. I take very good care of my vehicles, the exterior of this truck looks like the day I drove it out of the showroom, the diesel motor, that's a totally different story. Every time you turn around you're getting another dash light on or a code and off to the dealership you go. I talked to a friend of mine who is a Cummings diesel mechanic. He said when Chysler was looking for a small 4 or 6 cylinder diesel to put in these full size trucks, Cummings was asked to make the motor. Cummings told them it couldn't be done; that you couldn't make a small diesel and expect to put it in these full size trucks and not have problems with them. Turns out they were right and there's a reason why Cummings only makes the big diesel motors for the Chrysler trucks.

At any rate, that's my two cents on this motor. I would appreciate any information anyone can give on the reason for the melted hole in the manifold and what the likelihood that this might happen again.

Thanks

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I don't know what caused your problem but I'd like to respond to the comments from your friend the mechanic. Cummins did make a small diesel engine. Nisson put it in their Titan trucks. Nisson is dropping that engine, I'm not sure why. It may be it didn't perform as advertised as it definitely didn't get good mileage.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Tune it and get rid of your check engine lights...,time is running out. get rid of the foam and plastic from the top of your motor or next time it may b a fire