• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New ED engine

socalram

Dec 15, 2018
Spoke with the fleet manager at a ram dealership yesterday. He stated he was at a conference this past weekend where they stated the online training for the new ecodiesel engine is going to be available March 1. He assumes it should be available this summer.

I asked him if he’s heard any info as far as engine failure issues being fixed...he said he didn’t know what I was talking about and said the previous engine was strong from what he’s seen.... what’s your input in that comment?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
5% of ecodiesel engines died an unnatural death. Its kind of like saying "the Chevy Vega is a fine car" back in 1975. Most problems were related to the oil being unable to lubricate the engine once the soot from the EGR got heavy in the oil. There were some causes such as people using mineral oil by using Jiffy Lube (etc.), some were from tuning the engine for more performance than they could handle, but most were legitimate lubrication failures in the engine. It had not been experienced in Europe because Tier 4 emissions standards are brand new in Europe and the engine had not been used with an EGR. We were lab rats!

Last edited:

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Failure rate is an unknown. Most were in the later 2014 to mid-2015 production range. Sure there were others but not as many as in those model years. The cause has never been released. Serious conjecture points to issues with assembly quality, bearing sources, assembly torque on rods and supply sourcing quality when demand hustled production up.

Sure the oil recommendation was changed from a 5-30 to a 5-40 synthetic but still, no proof that was a cure. The bad ones trashed themselves no matter what you put into them.

Today there are far fewer reports of major engine problems. Just guessing that most of the bad ones are gone now. Not sure that fleet manager knows or wants to report what he should know about the engines' history.

There are other problematic areas. Some turbo and EGR coolant seals have leaked, causing engine issues. In the upcoming Generation 2 engines that is supposed to be addressed along with crank, rod and piston changes. Hopefully the entire issue of cooling will also be addressed as the original ones tend to run hot when towing under load. Playing with the three-way valve and the thermal control valve on the transmission has often been required in an attempt to get cooler towing temperatures.

A good clean-running Ecodiesel, with EGR turned off, is really turning in some great fuel mileage and useful towing service. Many , like mine, are way over 100,000 miles and lots over 200,000 miles. The main secret is getting a good engine, keeping it clean with a program like GDE to turn off that EGR and quiet the DEF sensors. Then running and maintaining it properly.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Failure rate is an unknown. Most were in the later 2014 to mid-2015 production range. Sure there were others but not as many as in those model years. The cause has never been released. Serious conjecture points to issues with assembly quality, bearing sources, assembly torque on rods and supply sourcing quality when demand hustled production up.

Sure the oil recommendation was changed from a 5-30 to a 5-40 synthetic but still, no proof that was a cure. The bad ones trashed themselves no matter what you put into them.

Today there are far fewer reports of major engine problems. Just guessing that most of the bad ones are gone now. Not sure that fleet manager knows or wants to report what he should know about the engines' history.

There are other problematic areas. Some turbo and EGR coolant seals have leaked, causing engine issues. In the upcoming Generation 2 engines that is supposed to be addressed along with crank, rod and piston changes. Hopefully the entire issue of cooling will also be addressed as the original ones tend to run hot when towing under load. Playing with the three-way valve and the thermal control valve on the transmission has often been required in an attempt to get cooler towing temperatures.

A good clean-running Ecodiesel, with EGR turned off, is really turning in some great fuel mileage and useful towing service. Many , like mine, are way over 100,000 miles and lots over 200,000 miles. The main secret is getting a good engine, keeping it clean with a program like GDE to turn off that EGR and quiet the DEF sensors. Then running and maintaining it properly.
I couldn't be happier with my engine and the GDE tune. Great mileage and never a problem. I did make a gasket out of FEL RAM to block off the EGR tube to make sure any coolant from a faulty EGR cooler couldn't make it to the intake. Until I am out of warranty I will keep toting around the extra weight.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Spoke with the fleet manager at a ram dealership yesterday. He stated he was at a conference this past weekend where they stated the online training for the new ecodiesel engine is going to be available March 1. He assumes it should be available this summer.

I asked him if he’s heard any info as far as engine failure issues being fixed...he said he didn’t know what I was talking about and said the previous engine was strong from what he’s seen.... what’s your input in that comment?

Fleet manger? Hmmmm training....I suppose This So Called fleet manager knows what about the ED, My guess 1 level below the 1500diesel.com.

BRAD MILLER

Mar 22, 2017
Truck Year
AS MINE SITS IN A DEALER IN N.H. BLOWN AND THEY ARE TYING TO USE THE BANKS BULLET AND SILENCER TUBE AS THE CAUSE FOR THEM NOT COVER A REPLACEMENT AT 77,500 MILEAGE.........

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I left message at TDR for Ya to call Me.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
AS MINE SITS IN A DEALER IN N.H. BLOWN AND THEY ARE TYING TO USE THE BANKS BULLET AND SILENCER TUBE AS THE CAUSE FOR THEM NOT COVER A REPLACEMENT AT 77,500 MILEAGE.........
I got this off a discussion board but I would call Banks. No way that silencer tube does. that is nothing but a metal tube replacing a plastic tube.

Will Banks products void your warranty?

I have a psd, please no flames. I am considering a chip and exhaust but dont want to loose the warranty. I spoke with banks and they said their products do not void warranty. Is this crap or has anyone had experience with them coming to bat for you. I want to know if dodge were to void your warranty, would banks help you out. The banks guy said "we would call the dealership and get it resolved. What do you think?

BRAD MILLER

Mar 22, 2017
Truck Year
I CALLED BANKS,DIDN'T GET THAT ANSWER.DEALER STICKING BY ANY AFTERMARKET ADD ON PART VOIDS WARRANTY..... STILL EARLY IN THE FIGHT....

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Get it out of that Dealer before its to late.....

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
There is such a high failure rate and so much documentation that 19 engines a week fail. Get a lawyer, file suit and settle. Big companies settle fast. The Banks bullet complicates matters. I am sure you wish you pulled it off before taking it in.