• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New here and don't even own one yet...

baldymcbalder

Jun 8, 2023
Truck Year
Not Listed
So background, I'm new to diesels of this sort. I had a first truck back in the mid 90s that was a 4cyl diesel mazda(ford swapped) and loved it, went away from them for a long time and now looking for another truck for doing some fun work things on the farm and towing horses around posibly.
I love the idea of a fuel efficient diesel and these ecos seem to be the only reasonable option available anywhere.

I have my eye set on a few,
2014 Laramie 167k(kms)
2016 tradesman 113k(kms)
2015 tradesman 137k(kms)

Curious what to listen for/look out for etc when looking at these trucks and what to walk away from?
Also if anyone could tell me what price tag you've seen for rebuilding one that has the knock/engine failure it would be great.

Appreciate any and all information, if if it's "run far away from these trucks"

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
So background, I'm new to diesels of this sort. I had a first truck back in the mid 90s that was a 4cyl diesel mazda(ford swapped) and loved it, went away from them for a long time and now looking for another truck for doing some fun work things on the farm and towing horses around posibly.
I love the idea of a fuel efficient diesel and these ecos seem to be the only reasonable option available anywhere.

I have my eye set on a few,
2014 Laramie 167k(kms)
2016 tradesman 113k(kms)
2015 tradesman 137k(kms)

Curious what to listen for/look out for etc when looking at these trucks and what to walk away from?
Also if anyone could tell me what price tag you've seen for rebuilding one that has the knock/engine failure it would be great.

Appreciate any and all information, if if it's "run far away from these trucks"
To be honest, these truck are not like the old school diesels. Fuel up and go/rarely pop the hood. These are much more finikie. They need to be well maintained. I want to use the term pampered, much unlike an older power stroke or Duramax. A lot of electrical components and other added features that are great on paper but not nessarly a sound practical design for the diesel. I love my truck, have an extensive diesel background, and understanding of the truck. However, if I had to choose again, I might gear more towards the Duramax. Just to avoid any potential issues. As far as the years are concerned, I have read that from 2018 and up seem to be the better ones where bugs were moderately worked through. Other guys on here might know a bit more. Hope my opinion help.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
It would be nice to see the service records on the trucks and find out if all of the recalls have been completed or any of them have an aftermarket tune installed, etc.... I would not be afraid to purchase but would purchase carefully! Knowledge is power!

baldymcbalder

Jun 8, 2023
Truck Year
Not Listed
After soem research and looking at replacement/repair cost on a dead engine for one of these and talking to a few owners and other aspects of it.

I will not be buying a Ecodiesel. the prices are FAR to great for engine repairs that basically exceed the price of the truck. I looked at one that's seller is selling for 6k wit a bad engine. replacement used engine is 8500, 2k for install and other things, puts the price of the truck exactly what current running trucks that are just a grenade waiting to happen, and even after the repairs there is no guarantee that it will last to cover the costs of repairs.

So sad as I was really enjoying the possibility of having something to get good fuel mileage AND tow trailers/horses/etc around.

Best of luck to everyone who has one, hopefully they start making replacement engines again for these with updates that fix some of thes issues that AREN'T $15k

**prices in CAD

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good Choice, the Risk couple with the cost is Just to High... I'm waiting on the new Hurricane engine than I will be purchasing when the $$$$$ is fair.