• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New member, same old story!

Geoling

Dec 18, 2019
Truck Year
Greetings from Mississippi and Merry Christmas 🎄

I’ve got a 2014 Ecodiesel, bought it one year old with ~35k miles on it. LOVED the truck, the ride, comfort and performance. By late 2017 I was wondering where my coolant was going. Dang overflow tank actually never empties so you can think you are a little low and actually have a radiator full of nothing but dust! I could have run it low a lot and never knew it 🤬

Long story short, I have managed to kick cuss and bitch my way to 165k miles. I deleted it once I caught on to the egr problems (~130k mi) but I think a lot of damage had been done. I’ve never been able to keep coolant in it.

I recently replaced the radiator and lower hose so I think I have all the external leaks fixed. Now though, it seems it’s blowing coolant out of the overflow, apparently when running only. Also when cold, the overflow tank will hiss and suck in about an inch of coolant when I remove it? I guess this is residual pressure in the system holding the coolant in the radiator until I loosen the cap? Additionally, this winter my heater has stopped heating, mostly, seems to work at slower speeds and coasting more and less at higher speeds and pulling.

Anyway, my shop guys think I’ve got a blown head gasket now (which I think I may have had for a long time maybe) and we are looking at an engine replacement. Don’t want to dig into a head job and then find out I have bad main bearings soon after!

I’d like to know if this all adds up in y’alls heads?

If so, and I replace with a new engine (long block I presume would be best?) and immediately delete, or keep it deleted and tuned, should I expect the new engine to hold up well without the egr crap?

Is my heater not cooling related or a different problem altogether?

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
I would do some searching on the forum because I remember reading a couple posts about other areas that can leak coolant. Ones a 3way valve, and I don't remember the other one but it would pressurize the expansion module and never indicate that the coolant was getting low.

Geoling

Dec 18, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah! The water pump, the radiator, the little hard plastic hose behind the water pump with o-rings to name a few.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
plus the turbo coolant line but the egr cooler is probably leaking with those miles