• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Tires

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I've never heard anyone complain about the traction, noise, longevity or ride of a set of Michelin Defenders. We've had them on all of our family Rams for more than ten years and won't ever change. When we add a new Ram to the family, the first stop is at Discount Tire to have the new junk remove and a new set of Defenders installed - within the first 200 miles of ownership.
I'm only replying because you said you've "never heard".

I too was a believer in Michelin Defenders for many years. Then I had one separate its tread at 65mph. Caused $3600 in damage to my pristine Ford F350. Discount tried as hard as they could for reimbursement, Michelin refused any help because the tire was 5+ years old. I bought the tire (set of 4) new from Discount 4 years prior, and it only had 11,670 miles on it. The tire date stamp is what Michelin used, and they didn't care about the low miles.
I have never bought anything Michelin since.

You can no longer say, "I've never heard anyone complain about the traction, noise, longevity or ride of a set of Michelin Defenders."

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OK.. I will share this at 1 Time I owned Store front, The Francise was connect to Tire warehouse and did 8 million a month in tire sales, SO I had access to all the warranties on those 8 million a Month, At that Time Toyo and Michelin had far less claims than all the other Tire manufactures.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
But there are other good or really good tires that aren't as much.
I appreciate all of the feedback, but I'm probably not going with the Michelin tires.
I'm notoriously frugal when it's an option.
Yep! There are lots of other tires that are as good or better than Michelins. Most at less cost.
Just be sure you buy what's rated for how you will use them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hmmm, Tire(s) go lame almost within 100 miles after mounting. Out of round, Ply, shoulder, etc, any maker can produce a bad tire, Toyo the CTS I had just suck, and I had the data to prove it, does that = all Toyo's are bad NO, what it did = Is Toyo's handling that exchanged to Michelin's.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hmmm, Tire(s) go lame almost within 100 miles after mounting. Out of round, Ply, shoulder, etc, any maker can produce a bad tire, Toyo the CTS I had just suck, and I had the data to prove it, does that = all Toyo's are bad NO, what it did = Is Toyo's handling that exchanged to Michelin's.
I tried Toyos once, mainly because my high mileage neighbor swore by them. They were good as long as the pavement or dirt was dry but let it be wet and they were like ice skates.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
HT, AT, CT, ? I find it hard to believe you spec the wrong tire, John?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
HT, AT, CT, ? I find it hard to believe you spec the wrong tire, John?
Thanks for the confidence. They were the right spec.
OEM, off a Rebel, 17" wheels and tires, Toyo, Open Country AT/II.

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
If anyone is interested, I went with the Kumho Crugen HT51. They've only been on road, and only a few hundred miles, but so far so good.

HT tire with very high marks for on-road use, and pretty high marks for off-road use. And a 70,000 miles warranty.

Smooth, grippy, and quiet so far. If they go sideways, I'll post so others can avoid them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Nice.. and update Thanks.

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
Does anybody have a recommendation for tire pressure? These are 275 60 r20. I believe the door sticker recommends 39psi (not positive). Is there a sweet spot for fuel economy and comfort?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good morning. Do you run just the stock Michelin defender tire or do you get the 10 ply. I will be traveling 85% highway. Thank you

I just look at the tire MAX Load at What PSI... don't know what the ply is

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
Does anybody have a recommendation for tire pressure? These are 275 60 r20. I believe the door sticker recommends 39psi (not positive). Is there a sweet spot for fuel economy and comfort?
the door sticker was for the stock 4 ply goodyear tires.. its no good for aftermarket tires. The tire itself usually states the max pressure ... often people go like 5psi under that for comfort but it depends on use.

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
the door sticker was for the stock 4 ply goodyear tires.. its no good for aftermarket tires. The tire itself usually states the max pressure ... often people go like 5psi under that for comfort but it depends on use.
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
For what it’s worth, I just bought tires for my 2016 Bighorn about 7k miles ago this past fall. Lexani terrain beast at 275/60/20 for about $160 a tire from Walmart online. Did well with mild off- road runs and perform awesome in This years Pa. snow. There 119 load rated for my camper towing, quiet on dry roads and great on wet roads. Tread-ware is almost not noticeable. Mileage has not changed from previous original equipment tires. Best to ya and long live our EcoD’s