• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to ecodiesel but not all diesels!

carerra3

Aug 10, 2023
Truck Year
Hello all. I am a retired mechanic that used to work on VW and Mercedes Benz diesels. I have also owned and did service work on Ram Cummins engines, but this is the first Ecodiesel I have driven. It is a 2018 1500. So far, I love the truck but have had the "service electronic throttle control" come on. The dealer replaced the MAP sensor and I drove it for about 200 miles and it came back on. Doing research, I see posts saying the EGR system has a lot of issues and can cause this problem. So, I removed the diffuser tube like many people have said and it was about 2/3 plugged with carbon. I cleaned it and reinstalled the tube. So far the message has not returned. Looking into the intake manifold, I was suprised to see so much carbon in it. The vehicle only has 55,000 miles so I assume the truck was not used much on the highway or for long drives. I do know from past experience, diesels do not do well on short trips. They do not get warm enough, especially in cold climates, so carbon and moisture can form. But, I can say, I have never seen this much. Some said that the only solution is to delete the EGR and replace the intake manifold. I have also seen where some posted the carbon build up is no issue, but being from the old school, I do not agree with that. I have also seen people have put a water/methanol injection system on and they said it made their truck run better, got better fuel mileage, and it cleaned the carbon from the intake. Removing the carbon alone will make it run better. Since I have had no experience with water injection, I would appreciate any imput you may have. Thanks so much for your patience reading this post!