• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Normal/abnormal carbon FCAs new word

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
I would like to ask opinions again!
With all the egr issues and flash issues.
Isn't the number 1 issue, the carbon killing the valves, rings etc and contamination of the oil!?
It seems a lot of owners talk about the lag and the AEM but, nothing is getting rid of the carbon.
FCA needs to fix the carbon issue.
They are now saying they can check for abnormal carbon in the intake manifold.
So I guess 1/2 inch of loose suet and carbon is normal for the ED and OK for the long term as per FCA.
Ask FCA if you can remove the carbon from your intake and pour it into one of their family car intakes.
I plan to go to court on principles!

bpwampler

Feb 20, 2020
Truck Year
My 2015 started throwing P2020 and P200A codes frequently. Dealer says intake manifold needs to be replaced. Its in the shop now being replaced. They say the intake manifold is extremely gunked up with carbon. I have 160,000 on truck and had AEM applied in May 2019. Now I have the EGR recall. I also received a letter from FCA saying there is an update to the AEM coming. Had some coolant drips in garage in the middle under the motor. They said the water pump is leakings slightly. But I read about the EGR leaks and that maybe the engines are burning coolant. Very confusing. I guess we'll replace intake manifold, I'll get the EGR recall done in April, and the AEM update when available. I have asked the dealer what is normal for carbon build up in intake. They say it depends on how your drive and whether you sit idling a lot. I'm pretty sure that with all the factors/recalls/updates in play here that they are nearly as confused as I am. If you hear anything about how they measure normal carbon build up please post. I really love this truck despite this recent grief. I'd like to keep it another 160,000 miles.

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
I've been a paid mechanic since I was 17 when I joined the Navy as an Engineman. I specialized in Detroit Diesel.
I'm almost 59 now and owned a motorcycle shop for 20 years before retirement.
I have never ever seen an engine with so much crap in the intake system as the 2014 through 2019 Ram Ecodiesels have in them and, I have looked into the intakes of 5 so far. Chrysler wants us to think it was engineered that way? what a joke.
this engine is doomed. It's just a matter of time unless you keep the oil clean as possible and still. its doomed.IMO

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I've been a paid mechanic since I was 17 when I joined the Navy as an Engineman. I specialized in Detroit Diesel.
I'm almost 59 now and owned a motorcycle shop for 20 years before retirement.
I have never ever seen an engine with so much crap in the intake system as the 2014 through 2019 Ram Ecodiesels have in them and, I have looked into the intakes of 5 so far. Chrysler wants us to think it was engineered that way? what a joke.
this engine is doomed. It's just a matter of time unless you keep the oil clean as possible and still. its doomed.IMO
Compared to the Cummins EGR diffuser and intake the eco is dirty, yes it is a dirty intake due to the EGR, Post exhaust fuel injection for the Regen cycle, and according to GDE the fuel map and timing. You will find several members of these boards that will agree with your assessment.