• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Change Interval When Towing

Rampage Roommate

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
I bought my EcoDiesel new in January of 2018 and had the oil changed in December 2018 even though it had less than 8,000 miles on it. I'm planning a cross country camping trip this summer towing my 7,000 lb travel trailer. The computer says my oil life is 94% now and I expect it to read at least 90% when I leave for my trip. Can I assume that I can go 9,000 miles before requiring another oil change or will it be sooner because I'm towing? Thanks for your help.

JMF157

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
Towing definitely shortens the oil life as it puts extra stress on the engine, especially when using the Tow/Haul mode. Tow/Haul puts the 'Jake' brake into a higher output and causes the truck to downshift faster to utilize the engines' braking ability; this causes the RPM to increase significantly. It has always been recommended to me to change the oil at a sooner interval then recommended, especially when towing. I try to stick to a 5000 mile change interval regardless of what the 'Oil Life Meter' says. I tow regularly different types of trailers up to 4500 pounds in city style driving conditions and never had the meter go below 15% at 5000 miles. With big companies always looking to stick-it to the average person, consider a mileage/time interval (ie: 5000 miles or 6 months, which is first) and stick to it. Then your warranty company can not question any problem that may arise. I hope this helps you. Good luck you your trip and be safe.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I just use the oil minder and ignore the miles. When it gets down to 10% I change it. I was convinced that the minder is tracking how I drive and the load on the engine and accurately predicts when the oil should be changed.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I just use the oil minder and ignore the miles. When it gets down to 10% I change it. I was convinced that the minder is tracking how I drive and the load on the engine and accurately predicts when the oil should be changed.

Negative, the oil change indicator is strictly based on miles driven, how you drive has no bearing on it.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Negative, the oil change indicator is strictly based on miles driven, how you drive has no bearing on it.
I don't agree with you. Please review this.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/understanding-ram-service-indicator-lights-by-brent-minderler

Smart technology, like Ram’s Oil Change Indicator, automatically monitors the oil life in your vehicle using advanced algorithm and an on-board computer system that alerts owners when it’s time for an oil change, so they can address the issue promptly and without hassle. All the owner has to do is schedule an appointment with a trusted mechanic, take the vehicle in for servicing, and a mechanic will take care of the rest.

How the Ram Oil Change Indicator works and what to expect
The Ram Oil Change Indicator system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software-based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine - the engine size, engine revolutions, and even ethanol levels in the fuel - to determine when the oil needs changing. That said, the computer does not strictly track mileage or the condition of the oil, but also tracks certain driving habits that can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperatures will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. Read the table below to see how the Oil Change Indicator system determines oil life.

Understanding Ram Service Indicator Lights - HOW DRIVING CONDITIONS AFFECT THE ENGINE OIL LIFE OF A RAM

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well that is great information, I have been told by several people the contrary. I believe I stand corrected! Thank you