• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0087 - seeking information for a fix

1shrubfan

Feb 15, 2024
Truck Year
I have owned my 2015 Ram for 4 years. During that time I have experienced an issue with complete power loss while on the highway attempting to pass cars three times. The truck almost quits running, I let off the gas and then it powers back up and drives normally. The check engine light comes on and the diagnostic code logged is P0087. I have looked this up and it appears that there is low fuel pressure in the rail system. I have my fuel filter changed twice a year.

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Check your lift pump pressure with a gauge, not a scan tool. I used my scan tool and it lied to me. Anything under 54psi change it out. It should be between 54-64psi. If that’s good then pull the fuel return line off of the right side fuel rail( next to the fuel pressure reg.). Turn the truck over a couple of times, you should have little to no fuel coming out.( under 30 m.l.) if you do. Any thing more than that and your regular is shot. The regular is supposed to be closed during that time, if your getting fuel then it’s stuck open.
If you pass those tests then you need to look at your high pressure diesel pump on the left side, take the sound guard/cover off, pull the fuel quality solenoid from the top( 2 torx screws), see if there are any metal shavings in the hole or on the screen. If so, you should replace the pump.
With that; there is currently a recall on that CP3 pump with no remedy, buy a used/or remanufactured one to get you by until they figure that out.
There is a certain produce to pull and install and you will need to buy three tools. One is a crankshaft locking pin you can get on Amazon, a degree wheel you can also get from Amazon, the other is a 5/8 extended allen socket you have to get from Mopar.
Message me and I can give you the procedure.