• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0299, It finally happened... How screwed am I?

telts

Oct 4, 2022
Truck Year
I am a nice owner of a limp truck. I think this is the right section to ask for help. Skip the next paragraph if you don't care what my long winded story.

About a week ago on a trip I had a full shutoff and had to pull over on the side of the interstate. Not a tone ring from what I know since I did it last year but ETC failure and low oil pressure. I called FCA/MOPAR asked about tow and they said nope not under warranty anymore. I think I did my AEM at 78,000 miles and I'm at 119,900. I was able to start it after a few hours and everything looked good so I slowly brought it home. It started smelling terrible about 10 miles from home and then went limp. Can't go over 3,000 rpm and sounds bad. Checked codes and P0299 which I thought AEM would save me with and that stupid P0191 that Ram has always cleared everytime I bring it in until last July when it all of the sudden matters now.

Anyways, I got to the MAP sensor and it was non existent. I was hoping through previous and current research I replace that, clean the tube, and I might be good. Nope... Engine sounds like its stuffed up, not normal. My coolant is lower than normal, and oil is way higher than normal. I'm going to tow it to the dealer next week but any suggestions on what I might expect or possible self fixes?

JeepJeep

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Hi. Sorry to hear of your miss fortune. Many years ago, I had a 5.0 l mustang. There was a known issue with the cats backing up. The cats were back ordered for months. Mine clogged up, restricting the exhaust. The engine operated at reduced power, struggeling to breathe, and he engine temp rocketed up. Shortly afterwards, the dealer replaced the cats -performance was restored. BUT .... I kept loosing coolant. No leaks anywhere to be found. Dealership insisted it was an external leak, since the oil had no indication of coolant in it. Finally an astute mechanic decided to drain the oil. First the missing coolant came out- then the oil. I was using Mobil 1 full synthetic at the time. Seems the synthetic oil separated, rather than mixed. When regular oil mixes - it turns "milky." When the Mobil Syn mixed - it made tiny green "freckles" in the oil. Turned out the temp rise warped my head, thus leaking coolant into an oil passage. They replaced the short block, due to lack of lubrication on the main bearings over a sustained period.

I'd look to see if your oil pan has the coolant in it. If so how did it get there ? Oil cooler ? Blown head gasket ? I'm not sure how our turbos are cooled - but on my cougar XR7 2.3l turbo, the bearings and shaft had the coolant and oil lines close ? Hope this info gives you some direction to look.

T Bone

Oct 27, 2016
Truck Year
I am a nice owner of a limp truck. I think this is the right section to ask for help. Skip the next paragraph if you don't care what my long winded story.

About a week ago on a trip I had a full shutoff and had to pull over on the side of the interstate. Not a tone ring from what I know since I did it last year but ETC failure and low oil pressure. I called FCA/MOPAR asked about tow and they said nope not under warranty anymore. I think I did my AEM at 78,000 miles and I'm at 119,900. I was able to start it after a few hours and everything looked good so I slowly brought it home. It started smelling terrible about 10 miles from home and then went limp. Can't go over 3,000 rpm and sounds bad. Checked codes and P0299 which I thought AEM would save me with and that stupid P0191 that Ram has always cleared everytime I bring it in until last July when it all of the sudden matters now.

Anyways, I got to the MAP sensor and it was non existent. I was hoping through previous and current research I replace that, clean the tube, and I might be good. Nope... Engine sounds like its stuffed up, not normal. My coolant is lower than normal, and oil is way higher than normal. I'm going to tow it to the dealer next week but any suggestions on what I might expect or possible self fixes?
The Egr is leaking into your oil. Don't drive it. The egr is under extended warranty.

telts

Oct 4, 2022
Truck Year
The Egr is leaking into your oil. Don't drive it. The egr is under extended warranty.
I should update but they did fix that after a long wait but they said my oil is fine. Not impressed with the service but I do have a running truck now.

Just-a-guy

Jan 2, 2022
Truck Year
I should update but they did fix that after a long wait but they said my oil is fine. Not impressed with the service but I do have a running truck now.
Id drop the oil anyways and get fresh just to be safe, alot cheaper a new engine..
Just my honest opinion tho