• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pittsburgh Power's Max Mileage

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Anyone know about this additive, Pittsburgh Power's Max Mileage, a fuel borne catalyst originally from "Better Diesel"? One of its claims is it will reduce soot. If so, I would use it in my Eco as it is a daily driver with a lot of 8-12 mile trips, a definite soot generator. It's tuned with EGR shut off, but every bit of soot reduction is good.

What I have read it's used by the 18 wheelers, couldn't find any pickup users. It's exclusive to Pittsburgh Power. I've also read that Max Mileage adds iron to the oil and will show up on an oil analysis. Does anyone know if that would cause problems in our Ecos?

Hoping for TC to see this and respond, as he has a lot of diesel experience.

Wayneo

Aug 23, 2020
Truck Year
Anyone know about this additive, Pittsburgh Power's Max Mileage, a fuel borne catalyst originally from "Better Diesel"? One of its claims is it will reduce soot. If so, I would use it in my Eco as it is a daily driver with a lot of 8-12 mile trips, a definite soot generator. It's tuned with EGR shut off, but every bit of soot reduction is good.

What I have read it's used by the 18 wheelers, couldn't find any pickup users. It's exclusive to Pittsburgh Power. I've also read that Max Mileage adds iron to the oil and will show up on an oil analysis. Does anyone know if that would cause problems in our Ecos?

Hoping for TC to see this and respond, as he has a lot of diesel experience.
I have used max mileage in my ED for over 12000 miles (currently at about 31000 miles. Bought used at about 18000) Saw regen frequency almost double(from 150 mi. to almost 300 mi. between passive regens on completely stock 2018 ED. I use a scangauge 2 to monitor regens.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have used max mileage in my ED for over 12000 miles (currently at about 31000 miles. Bought used at about 18000) Saw regen frequency almost double(from 150 mi. to almost 300 mi. between passive regens on completely stock 2018 ED. I use a scangauge 2 to monitor regens.
Thanks for that info
I bought a gallon, will begin to add it to my mix

Wayneo

Aug 23, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for that info
I bought a gallon, will begin to add it to my mix
How are you making out with max mileage? My stock 18 ED is still running like a top. Anyone know if dealer will give me a new egr cooler if someone else installs it? Was thinking of taking it to a diesel shop and having them install it. Would have them clean intake and egr valve and replace coolant line in intake valley as well.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
How are you making out with max mileage? My stock 18 ED is still running like a top. Anyone know if dealer will give me a new egr cooler if someone else installs it? Was thinking of taking it to a diesel shop and having them install it. Would have them clean intake and egr valve and replace coolant line in intake valley as well.
I haven't used it yet because I want to use up my current mix first. I'm almost there.

By the way, my SFT tuned Eco is averaging 275 miles per active regen. And that's 80% 8-20 mile trips and 20% 75 mile trips. I have no way to track passive regens (EGT4) which I doubt occur as the temps don't get high enough with my trips.

Wayneo

Aug 23, 2020
Truck Year
I haven't used it yet because I want to use up my current mix first. I'm almost there.

By the way, my SFT tuned Eco is averaging 275 miles per active regen. And that's 80% 8-20 mile trips and 20% 75 mile trips. I have no way to track passive regens (EGT4) which I doubt occur as the temps don't get high enough with my trips.
Would suggest getting a scangauge . What you are seeing is actually passive regen but it is showing on display because dpf is 80% full and if you don't drive highway For 20 miles it will fill up then its dealer time. I would suggest getting on max mileage asap to avoid this.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'm using an Edge CTS3. What I am seeing is an Active regen. It begins when the DPF back-pressure reaches a certain point and is interpreted as % soot. The Ecodiesel point is 65% soot. (100% on a CTS3). Most Ecos will not have passive regens because they are not worked hard enough to reach the triggering temp. As far as I know, there is no sensor for monitoring passive regens.

Active regeneration is triggered when the DPF exhaust back-pressure is sensed to have reached a first critical point, whereupon the ECU initiates a fuel injection routine designed to increase the exhaust temperature in the DPF to over 662 degrees F in order to oxidize the particulate deposits.
Passive regeneration occurs when the load and speed of the engine produce DPF exhaust temperatures greater than 662 degrees F, and it burns off the trapped soot as the vehicle operates.

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
@John Jensen , to activate that passive regen just need to drive faster. And pull a heavy trailer. On your daily 12 mile commute. 😅🤪 But seriously, let me know how that additive works out. I’m doing about 275 miles between regents as well, split city/highway driving on my GDE tune.

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Update: just looked today and my torque pro reported 295 miles between regens.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
I'm at my wits end with mine. Its going into regen every 5 miles. I just had a new dpf pressure sensor installed thinking that was it, but still doing it. I have a GDE tune on and see it when it regens at 80% and go down to 10% and shuts off and 5 miles later comes on. I'll take any advise!!!!! Im ready to throw in the towel

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I'm at my wits end with mine. Its going into regen every 5 miles. I just had a new dpf pressure sensor installed thinking that was it, but still doing it. I have a GDE tune on and see it when it regens at 80% and go down to 10% and shuts off and 5 miles later comes on. I'll take any advise!!!!! Im ready to throw in the towel

I have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune. I paid for the regen message option, which is both a blessing and a curse. I see now it going into regen mode once per week whereas I used to see it only a few times during the winter.

jarhead, what happens when you switch the truck back to the stock tune?

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
It does the same. I put a Innova scan tool on and watch the live data screen, while driving. It does throw a code P2459 dfp regen frequency. every once in a while but does clears. I just don't get it, you would think if dpf was bad it wouldn't clear code or it would go into limp mod. When I clear it the reader still has a P2459 permanent on it, but clears the check engine light. Would it be dpf? Hate to dish out for that then still have the same thing happen.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year