• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Poor mpg 2016 eco diesel 3.0L

MarkE

Apr 9, 2023
Truck Year
Hey Dodge Guys, Two questions here for you,
Problem 1 :
I have a 2016 Dodge 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/3.0L eco diesel. My average mileage is 16.3 mpg daily driving and maybe 17.3 highway. I bought this truck used a couple of years ago and it has 95K miles on it.
Any thoughts why my mileage is well below the averages I have read these eco diesel’s get ?
Problem 2 :
Additionally, I have always had a poor acceleration from a dead stop, seems be a delay when I hit the gas pedal, a bit dangerous when pulling out in traffic. Anyone know of this issue and if so is there a fix for it. I got to believe others have experienced this problem.
Please help,
Thank you,
MarkE

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The delay you have is common for a stock Eco. Some have it worse than others. Some improved with the AEM emissions recall updates, and some didn't. The best fix is to get a tune. If you don't live in Califunny get a GDE tune, If you are in Califunny get an MRT tune.

I have an MRT tuned 2016 Eco and my mileage has never been what some report. Mileage drops fast when you go to heavier tires, level it, lift it, etc. Mine is leveled, has heavy 10 ply tires, a Leer shell, and a front grill guard and I get an avg 17-18 local and 21-22 hiway @ 70+ mph.

Yours sounds a bit worse, maybe your EGR tube or MAP sensor needs cleaning. I've read where that can cause mileage to drop. Maybe someone else can offer more help

MarkE

Apr 9, 2023
Truck Year
The delay you have is common for a stock Eco. Some have it worse than others. Some improved with the AEM emissions recall updates, and some didn't. The best fix is to get a tune. If you don't live in Califunny get a GDE tune, If you are in Califunny get an MRT tune.

I have an MRT tuned 2016 and my mileage has never been what some report. Mileage drops fast when you go to heavier tires, level it, lift it, etc. Mine is leveled, has heavy 10 ply tires and a front grill guard and I get an avg 7-18 local and 21-22 hiway.

Yours sounds a bit worse, maybe your EGR tube or MAP sensor needs cleaning. I've read where that can cause mileage to drop. Maybe someone else can offer more help
John, Thank you for your info, I do have a 3” lift and running 35’s so that makes sense.
I will look into getting it tuned as you suggested and getting the cleaning done as well. The delay is my biggest concern, drives me nuts but other than that I love this truck.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yep, the 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires will account for your mileage. A tune will liven up your engine.
I have 10 ply tires and a leveling kit with a tune and I average around 23 to 24.

MarkE

Apr 9, 2023
Truck Year
Yep, the 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires will account for your mileage. A tune will liven up your engine.
I have 10 ply tires and a leveling kit with a tune and I average around 23 to 24.
Thanks for the input, I’m looking into the GDE Tune ( watching some videos ) thinking this might be a good fit for my performance issues ( acceleration delay ).

James115

Jul 5, 2022
Truck Year
Problem 1 :
I have a 2016 Dodge 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/3.0L eco diesel. My average mileage is 16.3 mpg daily driving and maybe 17.3 highway. I bought this truck used a couple of years ago and it has 95K miles on it.
Any thoughts why my mileage is well below the averages I have read these eco diesel’s get ?
Problem 2 :
Additionally, I have always had a poor acceleration from a dead stop, seems be a delay when I hit the gas pedal, a bit dangerous when pulling out in traffic. Anyone know of this issue and if so is there a fix for it. I got to believe others have experienced this problem.
Please help,
Thank you,
MarkE
Problem 1 :
Problem 2 :
Please help,
Thank you,
MarkE
Hello. 2017 Eco. Yea I had that delay and dealer performed tune it’s like night and day. Service writer actually drove truck himself 20-25 miles after first tune, didn’t like it and had mechanic go thru again. 56000. No charge from dealer. My best mileage 28+ with a tailwind. If I’m pulling a trailer 18-20 highway. I do use def premium, supposedly less buildup etc blah blah blah. I believe these engines warranted for 125000. If you have tunes and deletes done elsewhere voids any warranty you have remaining. But getting a new engine if needed is a problem I understand.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hello. 2017 Eco. Yea I had that delay and dealer performed tune it’s like night and day. Service writer actually drove truck himself 20-25 miles after first tune, didn’t like it and had mechanic go thru again. 56000. No charge from dealer. My best mileage 28+ with a tailwind. If I’m pulling a trailer 18-20 highway. I do use def premium, supposedly less buildup etc blah blah blah. I believe these engines warranted for 125000. If you have tunes and deletes done elsewhere voids any warranty you have remaining. But getting a new engine if needed is a problem I understand.
I've never heard of a dealer changing the stock tune, that's a big EPA violation. A second improved AEM recall software update/flash improved the delay for most owners, but not for all.

James115

Jul 5, 2022
Truck Year
I've never heard of a dealer changing the stock tune, that's a big EPA violation. A second improved AEM recall software update/flash improved the delay for most owners, but not for all.
I Believe it was the emissions update. I went in under various check engine codes. Ask them to look at the hesitation if it could be improved also. It came back with no hesitation, no codes, running better than ever. Call it an emission update or tune whatever, again no charge from dealer. Plus they took care of check engine codes. I’m in St Louis. Still waiting on high pressure fuel pump update or replacement recall.

MarkE

Apr 9, 2023
Truck Year
I Believe it was the emissions update. I went in under various check engine codes. Ask them to look at the hesitation if it could be improved also. It came back with no hesitation, no codes, running better than ever. Call it an emission update or tune whatever, again no charge from dealer. Plus they took care of check engine codes. I’m in St Louis. Still waiting on high pressure fuel pump update or replacement recall.
I have had two updates done at the dealership and both times I have complained about the delay but left each time with no change. They suggested I try changing my air filter and fuel filter, if that didn’t work I should spend 700 bucks on diesel emissions clean out. I reluctantly changed the air filter and fuel filter and no surprise it made no difference. I know they know what’s up but not willing to own up to it. so I just feel stuck hence my reaching out here for help.
I may push harder for a resolution at dealership once more but I’m leaning towards trying this tune option as it looks like a viable option designed by guys that make it their business to solve problems.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
Problem 1 :
Problem 2 :
Please help,
Thank you,
MarkE
Mark check out my post and what I have done. Here is the link. Travis

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
Problem 1 :
Problem 2 :
Please help,
Thank you,
MarkE
If yours has had the EPA mandated emissions computer update, it will run like crap. Poor mileage and power. After my update I got the GREEN DIESEL ENGINEERING tune which is EPA compliant. Mine runs as good as before the EPA factory update.

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
I think a lot of us were skeptical about the EPA update and many think their truck is running worse. Well, I track things like MPG for diesel and DEF and saw no difference. Drivability is harder to quantify but I saw no change in the hesitation. It is worst until the engine warms up. I haul a 7800 pound camper and don't want to take a chance on a tune that will give me great accelleration from traffic light to traffic light but that is not why I bought an EcoDiesel. I wanted power and economy. Otherwise I would have bought a hemi. Power and torque curves are not the only factor. The Ford Raptor has a towing capacity of about 8000 pounds, but with all that power, why can't it tow 20,000 pounds?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Mark check out my post and what I have done. Here is the link. Travis

Thanks for your link. Based on your discussion with Motori I am changing to Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 (MS-12991) this month.. I've been using T-6 5w-40 and additives since new. It will be interesting to see if I get the same results as you.

John K Sr

Feb 24, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Big Horn crew and after the first flash it ran terrible. Hesitated so bad I was afraid to merge onto a highway. The second flash fixed that problem and it seems to be running fine now. My biggest complaint is the MPG I lost with the flashes. When I bought the truck new we loaded it and drove across country and fully loaded I was getting 22 city and 29-31 highway MPG, and that's at 75-85 MPH. Now I'm down around 18-19 city and I struggle to get 25 on a trip on the highway.
I would be happy to get back what I had when I bought the truck, but I don't see that happening.
I don't know if a tuner would bring back my MPG or not, but I was under the impression that the EPA put the tuner companies out of business.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Big Horn crew and after the first flash it ran terrible. Hesitated so bad I was afraid to merge onto a highway. The second flash fixed that problem and it seems to be running fine now. My biggest complaint is the MPG I lost with the flashes. When I bought the truck new we loaded it and drove across country and fully loaded I was getting 22 city and 29-31 highway MPG, and that's at 75-85 MPH. Now I'm down around 18-19 city and I struggle to get 25 on a trip on the highway.
I would be happy to get back what I had when I bought the truck, but I don't see that happening.
I don't know if a tuner would bring back my MPG or not, but I was under the impression that the EPA put the tuner companies out of business.
I had the same problem then I bought a tuner from GDE. I have traded my truck and have my tune up for sale it your interested. Here's a link.

Guys I sold my ED and selling a few things. See below. The price includes shipping. Text me if you are interested. 850-797-9046

I have GED Tune. This link shows the one I am selling. $600... https://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/threads/ed-items-for-sale.6462/

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Problem 1 :
Problem 2 :
Please help,
Thank you,
MarkE
Have read the thread and you have received some excellent answers, so I can only add my experience.
My 2014 eco is stock except for the K&N air filter and the GDE EPA Compliant tune, I am presently running LT 10 ply tires in stock size, no lift. I run 23 mpg in town and 26 hwy. I consistently ran about 1 to `1.5 mpg higher before I switched tires.
To your Prob. #1: The EPA Approved Emission Recall caused to a greater or lesser degree a loss in fuel economy. Without discussing the comparison between my RAM and my wife's JEEP Grand Cherokee eco I can categorically state that the GDE tune will increase your mileage. I could get into a discussion on methods of intake and sensor cleaning but that is for a different forum. (I do both)

To your Prob. #2: The EPA Approved Emission Control Program resulted in a greater or lesser degree your delay issue. FCA programed in a 3sec. delay at EPA recommendation for emissions reasons (I doubt the effectiveness) I can categorically state that the GDE tune will also remove the delay and give you several hp and torque to boot.

To both issues I experienced a much greater loss of fuel mileage and acceleration last fall, unknown reason, already had the heavier tires, still had the tune, still performing my normal routine of oil change, filter change, cleaning service. Until My son in law drove my truck away from a baseball practice when I heard a low growl from my truck. Immediately suspected the rear differential. Pulled it down and found input shaft bearings heavily pitted and the carrier bearings headed that way. After the rebuild I got the lost mileage back instantly. With your selection of tires you may not be hearing the growl coming from your rear differential, worth a check for metal shavings in the oil. When I dropped the pumpkin I found heavy metallic silt, had changed oil at 75K and 150K miles.

Kevin Gulbrandson

Dec 15, 2017
Truck Year
John, Thank you for your info, I do have a 3” lift and running 35’s so that makes sense.
I will look into getting it tuned as you suggested and getting the cleaning done as well. The delay is my biggest concern, drives me nuts but other than that I love this truck.
Mine went that low after it was updated for emissions wish I had my money back and left it stock. I deleted mine and it very quick. Also peddle comander helps a lot.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Mine went that low after it was updated for emissions wish I had my money back and left it stock. I deleted mine and it very quick. Also peddle comander helps a lot.
If you are deleted you have a tune. I would think your tune would eliminate the need for a peddle commander

Kevin Gulbrandson

Dec 15, 2017
Truck Year
If you are deleted you have a tune. I would think your tune would eliminate the need for a peddle commander
Sorry for the confusion the peddle comander was my first addition before the tune so with both of the I am satisfied I added a Iron Loader 2014-2017 RAM Ecodiesel Delete tow Tuning