• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Prevent Cam Gear failure on EcoDiesel

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Has an EcoDiesel engine ever been replaced with a six or an eight cylinder gas one and what would all be involved with the switch? I'm stuck with a 2014 one with a thrown rod.
Sorry for your issues. To answer your question, multiple issues, wiring harness, ECM, transmission swap, easier to get the gas engine truck.
FCA has misrepresented inventory as well as re-builders available. Research independent shop re builders for your eco, you may have to travel but there are a couple of good shops that rebuild the eco not related to FCA dealership network.
My 2014 is running 189K miles presently with the normal issues, Service Electronic Throttle predominately, since I have an engine machine shop and have worked as a mechanic for many years on stock to high performance engines, I researched causes of that message. Most are false calls. Switched to Rotella T6 at first oil change when I bought the truck used at 18K miles. Oil changes at 10K miles and I have an OIl Analysis at each oil change. The exhaust was replaced per recall. My driving habits treat the exhaust system as intended, long highway miles, so I have not had any other emission issues. The AEM cost me about 4 mpg and some power, responsiveness. Fixed with Green Diesel Engineering EPA approved program, regained mpg and hp and gladly, reduced engine temp under load, used to tow our Toy Hauler RV until it got too large. The only issue that I didn't expect was the loss of the rear differential pinion shaft bearings at around 170K miles, ZF posi trak 3.96 unit Just finished repairing a fuel leak at the injectors and a anti-freeze leak. A great truck and a good engine if driven right and lubed correctly. Towing is very weight dependent, do not overload, the engine likes to overheat.

Doyle Boyer

Mar 15, 2020
Truck Year
Sorry for your issues. To answer your question, multiple issues, wiring harness, ECM, transmission swap, easier to get the gas engine truck.
FCA has misrepresented inventory as well as re-builders available. Research independent shop re builders for your eco, you may have to travel but there are a couple of good shops that rebuild the eco not related to FCA dealership network.
My 2014 is running 189K miles presently with the normal issues, Service Electronic Throttle predominately, since I have an engine machine shop and have worked as a mechanic for many years on stock to high performance engines, I researched causes of that message. Most are false calls. Switched to Rotella T6 at first oil change when I bought the truck used at 18K miles. Oil changes at 10K miles and I have an OIl Analysis at each oil change. The exhaust was replaced per recall. My driving habits treat the exhaust system as intended, long highway miles, so I have not had any other emission issues. The AEM cost me about 4 mpg and some power, responsiveness. Fixed with Green Diesel Engineering EPA approved program, regained mpg and hp and gladly, reduced engine temp under load, used to tow our Toy Hauler RV until it got too large. The only issue that I didn't expect was the loss of the rear differential pinion shaft bearings at around 170K miles, ZF posi trak 3.96 unit Just finished repairing a fuel leak at the injectors and a anti-freeze leak. A great truck and a good engine if driven right and lubed correctly. Towing is very weight dependent, do not overload, the engine likes to overheat.
Ok...thanks for that.