• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recommend engine oil

hfbroady

Mar 21, 2024
Truck Year
I just bought a used 2015 ram 1500 ecodiesel with 107,000 miles. Looking ahead to the oil change.

what is the best oil brand/weight?

What is the best mileage interval to change it?

trying to get the most life I can out of this truck. I don’t want to have bottom end issues.
thank you

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40, 5-Quart - 22.97 Walmart & Amazon
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40, 5-Quart - 26.44 Walmart & Amazon
Most follow the EVIC. Safe is 5000 miles

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
I, too, have a 2015, currently at 156k mi - had since 26k mi. Here's what I do:
I've used a lot of Rotella T-6 full synthetic 5w-40, also Valvoline Premium full synth 5w40. I use 8qts oil w/ 2qts Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. Changes at 8000 miles. Been thinking about going to 6k or 7k mi for more insurance against bottom end issues.
Notes: 1. Running a tune on the engine that reduces soot - oil lasts longer, among other things. 2. Previous experience where the Lucas saved a low mileage rebuilt diesel engine when oil cooler line blew and didn't catch it for about 5 min. Replaced line, no metal flakes in oil, oil pressure the same, engine saved.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

hfbroady

Mar 21, 2024
Truck Year
Thank you both for the reply.
My dad has 2 ecodiesel's 2014&2015. He has been going 10,000 miles between oil changes on his. I don't feel comfortable doing that, he also uses a euro full synthetic. For some reason, I thought it was like 5w-30, but I could be mistaken. Both of his trucks had new engines put in them, one was an unrelated known issue ( his girlfriend put gas in the tank. realized the mistake, and drove to the dealer from the gas station) engine wouldn't hold oil pressure after that. I guess their insurance company paid part of the replacement of the engine. We still have that engine, some day we will tear it down and try and get it running again.

I'm also getting scheduled to get the Z46 recall (HPFP) done on mine, I'm waiting for the dealer to call me back when they have the parts.