• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Regen, coolant temps, smoke

Why_rick

Aug 8, 2017
Truck Year
So, I’m new with this ED and when I was leaving work today, there was a regen to do. No biggie, I’ll just hop on the freeway and drive around a bit. Engine seems to be running hot (around 240°) and during the regen, I started to have white smoke billowing out the exhaust. Is this normal? Also, after a few miles I had to head up a hill. Temp went higher and I lost power. I was able to ease it off the freeway and stopped at a lot and let it idle and cool down a bit. I think the regen is complete bit my coolant temp is still staying around 240°

John

Nov 13, 2015
White smoke leads me to believe coolant is being burned off. Power was lost due to high temps and engine being de-rated as a precaution.

Coolant could be lost through the turbo or EGR cooler along with other possibilities. Is your coolant level low?

Why_rick

Aug 8, 2017
Truck Year
White smoke leads me to believe coolant is being burned off. Power was lost due to high temps and engine being de-rated as a precaution.

Coolant could be lost through the turbo or EGR cooler along with other possibilities. Is your coolant level low?
I didn’t think to check that before, but yes, it looks like the coolant is low.

Why_rick

Aug 8, 2017
Truck Year
I didn’t think to check that before, but yes, it looks like the coolant is low.
Coolant must have being burned off. I added 2 gallons of fluid this morning and brought it to the dealership. Engine light came on also. Not what I wanted to deal with in my first week of ownership. Hopefully this is just an isolated issue and not a lemon.

John

Nov 13, 2015
The turbo and EGR are both liquid cooled by the coolant and I'm going to guess it's either a leak at the turbo or at the EGR cooler. In any case I hope the repair goes well and it's the last problem you experience.

Why_rick

Aug 8, 2017
Truck Year
The turbo and EGR are both liquid cooled by the coolant and I'm going to guess it's either a leak at the turbo or at the EGR cooler. In any case I hope the repair goes well and it's the last problem you experience.
Thanks John. When I made it to the dealership, temps were good (right around 200°), coolant was still topped off, and no leaking. I’ll update once I get the eval from the mechanic.

Why_rick

Aug 8, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks John. When I made it to the dealership, temps were good (right around 200°), coolant was still topped off, and no leaking. I’ll update once I get the eval from the mechanic.
At this point they’re saying it’s an issue with a temperature sensor and it’s going to be reprogrammed. The shop pressure tested and it’s not leaking coolant and everything else is fine. Should have it back tomorrow! Thanks guys for your input.