• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reluctor/tone wheel install not covered

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
All,

I purchased a MOPAR replacement reluctor/tone wheel ($25). I called the dealership I bought my ED from for an estimate to replace it as a preventive measure. With required bolts kit and labor they quoted me $1,150.

I asked the service manager if FIAT is doing anything to subsidize preventive installation of this part that seems to eventually fail on all these trucks. His answer was that FIAT will not cover this repair. In addition, he said he doesn't expect FIAT to expand the scope of the extended warranty or cover anything that isn't already included.

I will be looking for a local shop to replace the tone ring to hopefully reduce the cost significantly. My brother and I are headed to MT on a elk hunt in Sep. and i really don't want to be stranded on the side of the rode over 1,000 miles from home.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
No idea. Have 107k on OEM, so if I can get that much on this one it’ll be worth it.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Do you have the tone wheel part number? Is the tone wheel upgraded or the original design?

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
The part information is below:

Description:RELUCTOR WHEEL. Crankshaft.
Part Number: 68493358AA
Quantity:1
Price:$25.95

I have no idea if it is upgraded or the original design. I had a heck of a time getting it as after I ordered it they ran out of stock and it took an additional 4 weeks to receive it. Also made in France...

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
get in touch with tcdiesel and ask him if the wheel is a warranty fix if i remember right it is a warranty problem

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Mine went out at 125K cost me $2000 to replace at Arrigo Ram in West Palm beach, mine is a 4x4 though. Its a recall issue but mysteriously my vin doesn't fall in the range of those covered, horse shit.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Mine went out at 125K cost me $2000 to replace at Arrigo Ram in West Palm beach, mine is a 4x4 though. Its a recall issue but mysteriously my vin doesn't fall in the range of those covered, horse shit.
Mine is also a 4x4 and fell inside the range for W58, but that doesn't fix anything, it just lets you get to the side of the road without stalling.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I have to wonder why yours is covered and mine is not. Mine stopped entirely and had to be towed.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
The installation of the tone wheel is not covered. The software update was all that was included in W58. If mine goes out and I'm stranded, I will have to pay for cost of repairs. That's why I'm looking to replace it proactively.

crazy8

May 3, 2020
Truck Year
I just had the reluctor wheel fail @ 97,700 mi. and took out my crankshaft sensor. The CS sensor and labor was covered under warrantee but the tone wheel (part only) cost me $51.69.
Sure is nice to have the turbo back...was driving in limp mode for 3 weeks before I could get it in the shop.

Last edited:

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The installation of the tone wheel is not covered. The software update was all that was included in W58. If mine goes out and I'm stranded, I will have to pay for cost of repairs. That's why I'm looking to replace it proactively.
There is not a revision so it is the same part, unfortunately rather than throw away 1000$, run it until failure and get the reimbursement warranty.