• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SCR Plugged

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
Have a 2017 ecodiesel that the SCR is plugged with soot, not DEF. Can this be pressure washed to get it clear a little to then force a regen? Got the reason why it soot build up fixed. Just trying to get it back on the road until new one can be shipped. told 2 weeks.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I don't know anything about cleaning or washing the SCR. But I sure would like to know how or why it got soot clogged as I never heard of that before.

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
Well I just bought the truck a month ago. The craziest thing is that it was just replaced in June under a recall from what the car fax says. So I called the dealer that did the recall and they confirmed , ask them about warranty. They told me yes but the only time they have seen this is if the truck has a tune on it, and if it does it would void the power train warranty. The truck only has 35K on it, and I have no clue if there is a tune on it. I ask them how can they tell and they said by the number of key sets on the ecm. No way of me seeing that before I take it to them.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Interesting and a bit confusing
I've never heard of a tune effecting or clogging the SCR.
I've never heard of an SCR recall
However, I'm far from being all knowledgeable.
Here's the best site for recall info on your truck

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I've never heard of the SCR in the EcoDiesel having problems of this nature. Something isn't right. I would take it to another dealer for a second diagnoses.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I'm With biodiesel, move on. Yes any engine can be scan for changes outside of OEM Programming. Its unlikely that any Dealer Tech would volunteer to investigate on his Dime.

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
Not sure whats going on with it. Mechanic pulled SCR off and tried blowing it out and nothing but white ash, no air would even pass through it so now waiting for new one. Truck ran great for the short time I've had it. Took it from PA to NC no trouble got 28MPG down and back, then coming back from OH heard a big air leak thought I was getting a flat, pulled over and had to call for a tow. Never thought it would be a hard part to get but seem to be.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
WOW, Jarhead, that Much ash Means Trouble, I can only Imagine how sooted up your intake is. Your OAs will be ugly to say the Least.....

Attachments

• Ecodiesel_Clogged_Plenum_intake.jpeg
    Ecodiesel_Clogged_Plenum_intake.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 19

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Mechanic pulled SCR off and tried blowing it out and nothing but white ash
That makes me wonder if someone didn't gut out the DPF filter. Ash should remain in the DPF.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ash accumulates in the webbing of DPF, It can flake off and be dispose of VIA exhaust, its a good practice to place your DSL engine in Stationary De-soot once every 6 months or 10K miles.

When it fills the Honey comb Webbing your screwed, it takes Qualified expert with chemicals that are NOT readily available to thoroughly clean it out.

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
Interesting. I see the SCR online but they have a core charge. Is it possible to cut out the cat and reweld a new one in? They had the DPF off the truck to weld a new flex piece on it because it had a crack in it. You could see that it wasn't hollowed out, dirty but not plugged.

Is there a way to clean the intake with pulling it?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Is there a way to clean the intake with pulling it?

Do you mean 'without' pulling it? If so, BG has a cleaner that is used while the engine is running. Some dealerships offer the service.

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
Yes. Was looking at some pictures online and looks like carbon build up in the intake is a real problem. Is this because of the regens? If so would it be wise to install a tune that slows that build up down?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Yes. Was looking at some pictures online and looks like carbon build up in the intake is a real problem. Is this because of the regens? If so would it be wise to install a tune that slows that build up down?

Carbon in the intake can be a problem, but typically you're good for 100,000 miles or so. As long as I'm under the AEM warranty, I'm not going to worry about it. Once my AEM warranty expires, then I will remove the intake, replace the coolant hose that is under the intake, and install a new intake. Then I'll be good for another 100,000+ miles. A new intake is fairly cheap.

As for a tune, I have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune. It will certainly give you a cleaner combustion. There are tunes that will delete the EGR function, but those are not legal in the U.S.

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
Have a 2017 ecodiesel that the SCR is plugged with soot, not DEF. Can this be pressure washed to get it clear a little to then force a regen? Got the reason why it soot build up fixed. Just trying to get it back on the road until new one can be shipped. told 2 weeks.
I had a similar problem. White ash in the tail pipe. The DPF was plugged and the filter material had broken into small bits and clogged the SCR. The DPF was toast and the SCR could not be cleaned to allow adequate air flow. I filed a claim and both the DPF and SCR were replaced under the 80K mile federal emissions. warranty. My truck only had 45k miles when this happened.

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
Did they say why that happened? I sent the receipt from the mechanic to the dealer and the dealer said that the part number they installed did not match the part number they installed. I ask my mechanic about it and he said the part number he installed is the correct number for the SCR the truck requires and that is possibly why it went bad in less than a month. I believe my mechanic since they specialize in diesels engines and he also drives a ecodiesel Ram. He said he could not get the part number off what they installed since it got too hot

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
Did they say why that happened? I sent the receipt from the mechanic to the dealer and the dealer said that the part number they installed did not match the part number they installed. I ask my mechanic about it and he said the part number he installed is the correct number for the SCR the truck requires and that is possibly why it went bad in less than a month. I believe my mechanic since they specialize in diesels engines and he also drives a ecodiesel Ram. He said he could not get the part number off what they installed since it got too hot
Mine was a cluster. We are not sure why it happened. Never had the dealer look at it because they were booked out for over a month. My indy shop took care of it. Stellantis approved it since no dealer could get to it for a month. Stellantis paid for parts only which worked out ok for me. Coincidentally my neighbor manages a Firestone a repair shop and had the same model and year truck come in last week with the same problem as mine. He sent them to the dealer.

jarhead

Oct 6, 2021
Truck Year
Yesterday I got a P2459 DPF Regen frequency...plugged in scanner and drove with it and soot sensor was at 100%. Watched it go into regen and drove it hard to keep temp up and sensor never dropped until after regen was complete. It went to 74% for about 30sec and then back to 100%. Would I be correct to say its a bad sensor and if so where is it located on the exhaust.