• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Electronic Throttle Control Round 2

lepilot

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
So here goes round two of my experience with the dreaded check engine light and the enunciation of the “service throttle control” message in my 2015 Ram 1500 Longhorn Ecodiesel. I had gotten the same message two weeks ago so I promptly took it into my closest dealer at the time. They replaced the EGR and some other parts and three days later I picked up my truck with no check engine light on. The truck drove great for about 10 days and today I got the check engine light again. I made an appointment with my local dealer for tomorrow morning Monday, May 20th at 7 AM so let’s see what they find this time around.

I’m also going to have them change the fuel filter and check the DPF just in case. My truck only has 34,523 miles on it now. I’ve not had any issues prior to these two incidents with the check engine light. If anyone has any suggestions or comments that may be helpful or informative please let me know.

Thanks,

lepilot

Last edited:

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
So here is your solution - so far it has worked for everyone. No sensor points to it so the dealers struggle to solve it. You are not driving a tuned truck (Sofa King or GDE) so your EGR is being used. It was all clogged up so the dealer changed it but he stopped too soon. You need to remove your EGR diffuser tube and clean it and then clean your MAP sensor. Your MAP sensor is buried underneath about an inch of goopy exhaust goop. Give us pics and tell us that it works for you! If it is free have the dealer do it, otherwise do it yourself. Then consider a tune so the truck does not drive you nuts with its EGR system.

lepilot

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
So here is your solution - so far it has worked for everyone. No sensor points to it so the dealers struggle to solve it. You are not driving a tuned truck (Sofa King or GDE) so your EGR is being used. It was all clogged up so the dealer changed it but he stopped too soon. You need to remove your EGR diffuser tube and clean it and then clean your MAP sensor. Your MAP sensor is buried underneath about an inch of goopy exhaust goop. Give us pics and tell us that it works for you! If it is free have the dealer do it, otherwise do it yourself. Then consider a tune so the truck does not drive you nuts with its EGR system.

Thanks for the info. The parts list for my invoice states parts replaced are:

Tube
Gasket
Tube
Gasket
O Ring
Bushing
Manifold
Antifreeze
EGR Cooler

I will mention the MAP and EGR diffuser to the dealer tomorrow. I’ve also read replacing the injectors is a fix for multiple ETC problems. Any thoughts? I do have an extended warranty I purchased for my truck through MOPAR. So it’s all covered with $100 deductible.

Thanks for the help!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
If there is something wrong with your injectors...I suppose. What I gave you will work.

lepilot

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
I got you...I was just commenting on what other folks have posted in other forums with regard to the injectors. I will have the dealer do exactly as you suggest. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
There is nothing code or sensor wise that leads them to a clogged EGR diffuser tube or MAP sensor. So being code chasers all they are left to do is change parts. Lucky for us there are smart guys who told us how to fix this problem and I am just passing on their solution to you.

lepilot

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
So I got the call yesterday to pick up my truck from the dealer. I took it in at 7:00 AM and by 2:00 PM they were done. They told me that the first dealer I took it to in Blue Ridge, GA, had not replaced the Turbo Boost sensor and that’s why I got the Check Engine light with the corresponding “Service Electronic Throttle Control” indication.

In the description they had me write down when I dropped the truck off, I specifically mentioned the EGR Diffuser tube and MAP sensor may be clogged or dirty. I assume they checked those out but not 100% sure since I can’t pick up my truck until this Friday (flying). I now have to fight the $100 deductible charges since they fixed it twice for the same problem. I guess we will have to see what happens this time around.

lepilot

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Got my truck back yesterday. No problems so far. Drove it to Huntsville, AL. Keeping my fingers crossed. I would also like information on Hot Tuning my truck and EGR delete. Thanks