• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Engine - Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
I’d like to know what’s everyone’s opinion on my situation. I drove 560km (5.5 hours) nearly non stop, no problems what so ever. I got home shut my truck off and ran inside to get something, I was inside 3 minutes when I got back into my truck I had “Service Engine and Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light” show up and my truck went into what I imagine is limp mode, The truck barely kicks out of 3rd - won’t exceed 3000rpm and doesn’t seem to want to go over 80kmh. I called the dealership and explained all this and the service rep almost immediately told me that it was because I didn’t have a winter front on my truck, is this possible? I’ve drove in colder condition without a winter front. Now I’m out a vehicle and have to cab it to work and have my truck towed to the dealership. I think what irritates me the most is I just had my truck at another dealership yesterday to have my oil changed.

p.s.im tempted to just limp my truck to the dealership and save the 190$ tow truck fee.
Unless it’s going to terrible damage my truck.

truck details:
2018 Ram 1500

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
Keep in my the dealership is 12km away, I’ve been thinking a lot about it today at work, I’m almost certain that it’s a fault in the system.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I’d like to know what’s everyone’s opinion on my situation. I drove 560km (5.5 hours) nearly non stop, no problems what so ever. I got home shut my truck off and ran inside to get something, I was inside 3 minutes when I got back into my truck I had “Service Engine and Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light” show up and my truck went into what I imagine is limp mode, The truck barely kicks out of 3rd - won’t exceed 3000rpm and doesn’t seem to want to go over 80kmh. I called the dealership and explained all this and the service rep almost immediately told me that it was because I didn’t have a winter front on my truck, is this possible? I’ve drove in colder condition without a winter front. Now I’m out a vehicle and have to cab it to work and have my truck towed to the dealership. I think what irritates me the most is I just had my truck at another dealership yesterday to have my oil changed.

p.s.im tempted to just limp my truck to the dealership and save the 190$ tow truck fee.

truck details:
2018 Ram 1500
1. Do not drive it anymore than absolutely necessary. Like park it now.
The code referenced did in fact put your vehicle in Limp Home Mode. This mode stops the regeneration cycle and if you drive the vehicle the Diesel Particulant Filter becomes clogged which will cause additional headaches. Your issue may be caused by clogged EGR diffuser or MAP sensor. This code has at least 80 causal factors Now be prepared for the Dealer to start throwing parts at your truck because the first item on the causal list is Low Turbo Boost, then Fuel Injector Output Below Parameters, which most dealers start by installing a new Turbo and then Injectors. Be patient, but persistent, a good Tech is a must on diagnosing these engines. Good Luck.

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
This all of course is still under warranty though obviously? I limped it to the dealership 15min drive, noticed no turbo at all and I could definitely smell exhaust.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
This all of course is still under warranty though obviously? I limped it to the dealership 15min drive, noticed no turbo at all and I could definitely smell exhaust.
Good time to be under Warranty. This is all part of the Limp Home Mode, no turbo, limited fuel map, no gear higher than 3rd, horrible exhaust. Have experience with both my vehicles and this code. My dealer has an excellent tech and my own skill has lead to good outcomes. Good Luck.

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
But just to be clear this is covered under warranty being that my truck is 12 months old with 42,000km right?
When I seen your post the first think I though was “here goes my life savings”

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
But just to be clear this is covered under warranty being that my truck is 12 months old with 42,000km right
Not being a representative of FCA, I believe it should be under warranty.

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
Just alittle update, just got a call saying that all I needed was my PCM to be updated? Sound right?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds reasonable.
I just had the code. I changed my ECU back to stock and the message and limp mode disappeared. Put my SFT tune back in and all ok. My Sevice Manager said it was probably just an errant signal within the ECU, shit happens.

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
at the dealership now, no charge at all which is good, look like the scanned the truck and found DTC P0402-00 code. Which is weird cause idk why my EGR would be full or plugged.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Just alittle update, just got a call saying that all I needed was my PCM to be updated? Sound right?
Can happen. The EGR has a pressure sensor installed, when the EGR diffuser tube becomes clogged then the pressure sensor reads it and codes. Diffuser tube removal and cleaning is simple, can be done in the driveway, so the dealer should have no problem with cleaning. As an aside the clogged EGR tube is one of the situations that will trigger the Service Electronic Throttle Control code and limp situation. I would take this as an indication that your dealer's eco technician is familiar with the eco or can read FCA Technical Service Bulletins. Good to hear.

14ram1500

Dec 29, 2020
Truck Year

truck details:
2018 Ram 1500

I drove cross country with no issues in my 2014 ecodiesel, and then 1 month later the throttle service control came on and havent been able to resolve. Ive had it to the dealer and 2 shops.. The dealer wanted to replace everything, bc they didnt know what was wrong. I changed the intake as it had a small leak and that didnt fix it either.. So I clear it and then it kicks back on every 20 min.. I drive it in limp mode just shift it up slowly, I cant go over 3k rpms but runs fine below.. just following your post

ram promaster 15van

Apr 12, 2021
Truck Year
I have a 2015 Dodge Ram Promaster van 4 cyl ecodiesel 31k miles had the ECT light flashing, and had the mechanic giving me all the codes that were mentioned above. Come to find out a mouse had nibbled through a vacuum tube, which caused the situation. thankful to Northgate Auto Repair in Bend, Oregon for their patients and not throwing parts at it. Was terrified it could have been the turbo. Thanks forum for all the input and grateful to get back out on the road. Peace