• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SFT ECM important tune feature

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
SFT's ECM tune will turn off the ECS system. This feature is not mentioned on their website but is a feature that is in demand by off-roaders who either pull the F26 fuse or make a custom on/off system as I had done.

I doubt all owners with the SFT tune know about this feature so I made a brief instruction on how it works.
See the att. PDF file.

I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 20-SFT tune ESC On-Off Instructions.pdf
    56.9 KB · Views: 47

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
^^^^^^^
My data has been challenged on another forum and the challenger who may be right.
It centers around my description of the OEM tune and saying this was a feature of the SFT tune.
The challenger claims the feature has always been in the OEM tune and no credit can be given to SFT.

Since I am running the tune I cannot verify if the OEM tune included the described feature. My owner's manual agrees with what I said but it may be poorly written or incomplete.

Can anyone verify if their OEM tune operated the ESC system like I said it operates under the SFT tune? If you have a 2016 Eco that would help.

Thanks all

EDIT:

When my SFT ECU Touchscreen tuner gets here I can easily return to stock and test it myself.
Oh boy, can't wait
20-actio-banana dancing.gif

Last edited:

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I do believe I remember seeing mine throw both esc and traction control off when I put my 2014 in 4low trying to pull a tree out of the woods with stock ecu... I remember getting pissed because I wanted the lower gear but to still have torque management and it wouldn’t do it.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks Tremper

You need Brandon's transfer case switch to lock it and get 100% torque

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I created this thread here and on another forum to explain an SFT tune feature.

On the other forum GDE responded above with:
"LOL SKT is not . Those are not controlled by the two modules he is trying to tune (ecm and tcm)".

I responded asking GDE:
"How would you explain, "As for Jimmy's tune, it changed the 4 low ESC Full Off from a manual process to automatic."?

GDE chooses to not reply to my question.
So I contacted Jimmy (SFT) who said that yes, he does change the ESC and TSC functions.

Attached is my updated/corrected PDF, dated 12/10/2019, on how to manage the ESC & TSC functions with your SFT ECU tune. I have tested and verified all of the functions with my 2016 Ram 1500.

Attachments

• 20a-SFT tune ESC On-Off Instructions.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 22

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
I did not respond because you and Jimmy are not making sense. The ESC and TSC feature you list are stock features and ESC is off automatically in 4LOW. Please look at a wiring diagram of these vehicles and the CAN bus LIDs. ESC and TSC are controlled by the ABS module. Your information and sources are wrong. I am not sure what else to tell you, but you seem to be focused on a certain narrative.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I did not respond because you and Jimmy are not making sense. The ESC and TSC feature you list are stock features and ESC is off automatically in 4LOW. Please look at a wiring diagram of these vehicles and the CAN bus LIDs. ESC and TSC are controlled by the ABS module. Your information and sources are wrong. I am not sure what else to tell you, but you seem to be focused on a certain narrative.

Here is my source, the Owner Manual and my stock tuned truck. The following quotes my owner manual and is exactly how my truck engaged with the OEM tune. You will notice it is a manual operation, definitely not automatic as you claim.

"This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:
ESC Full Off This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode."

With the SFT tune it is automatically engaging.

How is this, as you say, "not making sense"?

---

Cavett2ea

Dec 3, 2019
Truck Year
First time post. Just put my 2017 ED with 34k miles all stock( but preparing to start mods) into 4 low and it automatically disengaged the ESC which displayed on my odometer. First time i have put it into 4 low since Ive had the truck. Again its OEM tune for now. Hope this helps.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
First time post. Just put my 2017 ED with 34k miles all stock( but preparing to start mods) into 4 low and it automatically disengaged the ESC which displayed on my odometer. First time i have put it into 4 low since Ive had the truck. Again its OEM tune for now. Hope this helps.
Thanks. It helps a lot. I'm beginning to think we are all correct. That my 2016 operated one way when stock tuned and your 2017 operates another way. Is the answer they changed in 2017?

CyberKnight

Jul 5, 2018
Truck Year
John, where do I find the SFT tune? I've searched with Google but can't seem to find their contact info or website. Thanks in advance.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
My 2014 shuts off the ESC whenever I select 4 Low.