• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shocks and hubs blown at 57,000?

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Hey everyone. So, my hubs and shocks have gone out on me at 57,000 miles. first The shocks on a mountain bike trip in moab in the spring, followed by my hubs on the way back from a river trip 2 weeks ago (summer). Blown shocks also damaged the shock mounts while on the back roads of Moab, took 2 weeks in the shop. I replaced them with top end shocks, evidently the oem shocks are apparently junk. The hubs went out near Boise;I love getting a tow and being stranded with family, dog, and raft trailer. The dealership would not cover either repair even though I was still under a power train warranty. The shop near Boise that took care of me, Country Repair, I cannot say enough nice things about; they really took care of me and my family. I replaced the oem hubs with moogs. The mechanic was telling me the blown hubs was due to the leveling kit and bigger wheels. I’m running 33x12.5 on a 20x10 rim. This is the way this truck came when I bought it less than 10k miles ago, the only difference is I put bfg’s on it instead of the road slicks it came with. So, now I am looking at going back to an oem spec wheel and tire (18x8 wheel with 33x10 tire). I love the look of 35’s but I like good MPG’s better. When I was getting my shocks worked on at the dealer they asked if I off road or pull a trailer, which I do both and fairly often. Isn't this a truck? I bought this thing to do exactly that - get off road and pull a trailer. I am coming from Toyota, this being the first non-Toyota truck I have ever owned. My 2007 trd tacoma was still on factory shocks when I sold it with over 200,000 miles on it. I didn’t even know what a hub assembly was before mine went out. The mechanic told me I should go up to a 2500. At this point, the GDE tune, shocks, hub assembly, I am $7k into this truck beyond the purchase price. I think I put $7k into my tacoma in 13 years of ownership. I am hoping the after market shocks and hubs and going back to a smaller wheel will be the end of this. Can 1500 rams not handle dirt roads with a 3000 pound trailer? This on top of the engine failure issue makes me scared to continue ownership. i just got this, but should I go to a 2500? Thoughts? Thanks.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Wow, there is a lot to unpack there and I feel your pain with all the repairs. To be honest I don't think I have ever really read too much about those types of problems on the various forums. It kinda makes me wonder if there was some substandard suspension work or a lot of water involved somewhere along the line.. A 3000 lb trailer is well within the trucks capacity.

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Not sure water has been an issue on the front hubs? I have been reading that large offset wheels can negatively impact suspension which agrees with what the mechanics told me when I got the hubs replaced. I am getting 18x8 oem spec offset wheels, 33x11 inch tires. Currently 20x10 inch wheels & 33x12.5 inch tires with a big negative offset (-12? -20?). They look cool, but idc. I will also enjoy a bump in my mpg’s by losing 10-15 pounds a wheel.